Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
BIG Meal On the Cheap! >

BIG Meal On the Cheap!

BIG Meal On the Cheap!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
tmw

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Thank Sweet. A big pan of mac and cheese, the real baked stuff might go over great there with all the kids!
I just started some cookies, to!
could you maybe have a pk, of hot dogs to with it, cut them up into pieces for a side dish,
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Just check if he needs low salt. A lot of the recipies sent sound delish - but very high sodium.

Try this one.
use skinned chicken thighs, I use 2 per person so you'd need at least 12. Put them in a crock pot along with 2 cans of low salt crushed tomatoes. Add two jars of Baby food pureed carrots. Slice up onions and peppers. Cook separately in a non-stick frying pan until the onion are clear. Put in crock pot with everything else. Add garlic powder (or you can add crushed garlic to the onions and peppers when you cook them) Add a teaspoon of Italian Herb spice mix. You can also add some hot sauce - if this will go over with the kids. Serve over rice or cous cous.
Delish! The carrots add something to the taste that people can't quite place, but it is good.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:56 AM

cook up 2lb of mince with two packs of frozen mixed veg in a beef stock season with salt and pepper and garlic .Cook up 2 packets until ferm but not fully cooked add this to the meat and veg let cook all of the way add seasoning to taste cook until most of the stock has gone .This is a great meal I had 7 of us at home and the kids loved it and it freezes well.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 AM

Try this the beef strganoff is excellent:
http://thecrockstar.blogspot.com/sea...el/Crock%20pot
I don't use the golden mushroom soup just regular cream of mushroom is fine. I buy the meat and cream cheese and noodles from Aldis (cheap).
Old 02-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Thank Sweet. A big pan of mac and cheese, the real baked stuff might go over great there with all the kids!
I just started some cookies, to!
All kids love mac and cheese! So do I, just high in carbs not good for a diabetic.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM

Another thing that would be good and cheap, is mostociolli, noodle are always on sale, you can do meat or not, and add some spaghetti sauce, done, buy some garlic bread. mmmmmm
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 AM

I got this off a newsletter from Mr. Food. I haven't tried it, but it seems just what you are looking for.

There were comments on there of people who had made it -- one substituted cream of chicken for cream of mushroom, one added cheese on top.

The Amish are known for many homestyle dishes, and this warm and comforting casserole is one of them. It's so tasty, it's no wonder it's been passed down from generation to generation.

Serves: 8

AMISH COUNTRY CASSEROLE

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 (16-ounce) package wide egg noodles
1 (10-3/4-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1 (10-3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute onion 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground beef and cook 4 to 6 minutes, or until browned.

In a large soup pot, cook noodles according to package directions; drain well and return noodles to pot. Stir in ground beef mixture and the remaining ingredients, except the paprika and mix well. Place into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with paprika.

Cover and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through
Old 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Tater tot casserole will feed a few. If you want the recipe let me know. also my dad always fixed poor mans casserole.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Bisquick - Hamberger Pie. I've made with groundbeef and I've made it with groundchicken and salad. Kids like it and it's not had or spendy.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM

If you make that pork on page one...DO NOT throw out the juice. Put in the refrigerator and let the grease congeal and then scoop it up and throw it away. What you have left is the basis for a wonderful veg. soup. Use fresh or canned (low salt, if needed) and if canned, use the liquid in the can too. Be sure to add some frozen chopped spinach for color (and vitamins). If there isn't enough broth, add either low salt chicken or beef broth (or both make it yummy). You can add rice, noodles or couscous if desired. Be sure to send crackers for the soup or garlic bread is tasty too. This way, you get 2 meals for little more than the cost of the one.