Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
BIG Meal On the Cheap! >

BIG Meal On the Cheap!

BIG Meal On the Cheap!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I want to make a dish for BIL, who is having the heart issues. He is home, but I am sure his wife is very busy, so a nice meal would be appreciated.
Any suggestions.....they have 6 kids at home, so it has to be a large portion and NOT TOO expensive. I thought of a baked tuna cassarole, but I am not sure the kids would eat it, lol!
Just google 'Duggar tatertot casserole' they have lots of huge family recipes already for big families. Help this helps!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 PM

You could make a large rectangular baking dish of Mac & Cheese and add either a can of Tuna, chicken, or salmon at one end of the pan for the adults. Put some frozen peas or mixed veggies in the whole pan for everyone. I frequently make it with canned chicken and broccoli added. Also, the very favorite take on this when our 6 kids were young was to make it Mac/ Beef/ Tomatoes/ and cheese. Brown hamburger (or turkey) with some onion and spices, & herbs (if desired). Cook the Mac in boiling water, drain and place in greased rectangular pan. Mix in cooked meat and add a large can of Roma tomatoes ( drained & reserve the liquid to add if moisture is needed) & gently mix in. I usually added shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese heavily on the top and bake at 350 til the cheese melts. This can be changed around by adding spinach or othe cheeses.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Cyn

You are just a real sweetie pie! Helping out this way is absolutely wonderful:) My kitty cut outs were such a wonderful surprise. People like you just make the world a nicer place! Bless You!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Cyn

Manicotti is easy and good! No meat is necessary and a large salad and loaf of french bread is a whole meal :)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Chicken rice soup, goulash, sloppy joe. You're a very thoughtful person, bless you.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Do they like chicken? I have a recipe for Spanish Chicken served over rice which is economical and delicious. If it sounds like something you would want to serve, let me know and I will send the recipe.
All that is needed is a salad, roll, glass of milk and a cookie.
Mariah.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 AM

and it might have been a virues that attacked the heart. any dish would be appreciated. don't worry about whether he can eat it or not. cook 'your' speciality, that you like to cook, and the rest of them can chow down.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I want to make a dish for BIL, who is having the heart issues. He is home, but I am sure his wife is very busy, so a nice meal would be appreciated.
Any suggestions.....they have 6 kids at home, so it has to be a large portion and NOT TOO expensive. I thought of a baked tuna cassarole, but I am not sure the kids would eat it, lol!
Just google 'Duggar tatertot casserole' they have lots of huge family recipes already for big families. Help this helps!
Hope it helps, even...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Here comes the Pennsylvania Dutch side of me - born and raised in the center of Amish Country in PA:

One Big Roaster chicken and a two one-pound bags of wide noodles (better yet, make your own - I do) One 2-Lb. bag of frozen sweet corn kernels, salt and pepper and, if you have ever had it this way, about 6 hard boiled eggs.

Boil that roaster, then remove to cool down a bit so you can clean all the meat off it and chop it up. Skim off any gunk that floats to the top of the broth you now have and put the chicken back into the pot. Toss in the bag of corn and salt/pepper to taste - unless he cannot have salt, then skip it. Toss in the egg noodles. OPTION: Cut the boiled eggs (I hope you remembered to peel them -- lol) in quarters and toss them into water, which should by now be at a light boil. Here is where I add one large bay leaf. When noodles are done turn off heat, let sit for a bit to thicken up some as it cools, then serve with some homemade bread -- yes, I make that too. When I make this I get about 4 gallons of soup! Homemade bread -- it only takes some time, but three or four loaves would fit that [fellow military guy's] family just fine. I'm retired Air Force, myself, so please give my regards to him and his family. This is the favorite comfort food for my wife and I.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware (where there was no snow - yeah!)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:41 AM

do a search on recipes for "Pizza Bake" and it's a recipe from Taste of Home. The only different thing I do is use Penne pasta. The spiral seems to breakdown too much for me. I use a container of Asiago cheese instead. (from Aldi's) We just like Asiago better - but it wouldn't matter. It makes a bigger than 9 x 13. Kids really love it and it's very easy and quick to put together.