Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Carmel popcorn - anyone have a good recipe? >

Carmel popcorn - anyone have a good recipe?

Carmel popcorn - anyone have a good recipe?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM

I have done this Dozens of times over the years and never had a bag catch fire.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:42 AM

I use an empty flour paper bag to pop my corn , have for about two years when I decided to try to eliminate as many chemicals as possible from my diet . I have never had a problem using this heaver bag, and I fix popcorn at least once a week . Last year I made caramel corn and popped several batches one right after another and never had a problem . I hope no one has an issue with fire, I am just saying I never have .

I did not put the caramel corn in the microwave though, I just popped the corn for it in the microwave .
Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Thanks for all these recipes, I especially like any microwave recipes, baking my caramel popcorn usually took about 3 hours ! Another choice for popping the popcorn: go to Walmart and buy their huge bags of popped corn. Sure cuts down the time fixing all that popcorn.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 AM

When popping corn in a brown bag, do you add oil to it like when doing it in a popper or just dry? I'd like to do this--like raeder63 said--get rid of the chemicals!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Not sure, never used micro-wave corn, I just know 1 Cup makes a lot of pop corn.
Do NOT use microwave popcorn. The oils that they use will prevent the Carmel from sticking to it!
Now that I have given you the warning, I will give you the greatest popcorn recipe I have ever found.
Buy a box of Rice Crispies, follow the directions for rice crispy treats, except use popcorn instead of Rice Crispies. Makes fast and easy popcorn balls, and won't pull your fillings out. Grandma made these every Christmas tinted green and red. Still my favorite Christmas treat, even with dentures! (BTW- remove all of the 'old maid' kernels before you put the marshmallow on the popcorn.)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM

This is not a caramel popcorn but definitely is good…..and it's called the Quilters' popcorn. I am not sure but I could possibly have gotten the recipe right here on the QB…...

Quilters popcorn

8 cups of popped popcorn
5 cups Kix cereal
3 cups crushed Fritos
1 lb. white chocolate

Mix the first three ingredients together
Melt chocolate and pour over the popcorn mixture
Spread on waxed paper to dry,
then crumble and store in airtight containers.

Last edited by mjsylvstr; 11-25-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by trivia42 View Post
I use King Arthur Flour's recipe, which can be found at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...el-corn-recipe except I omit the lemon juice. I love the light shell it makes on the popcorn, just set your oven very low to bake or the caramel will burn a bit. I make a double batch in my roasting pan and eat on it all winter! Enjoy!

ETA: I sub honey for the molasses it calls for because I like the lighter flavored caramel.
Thanks! I've used King Arthur GF and it's the best..........now I have to try this!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
When popping corn in a brown bag, do you add oil to it like when doing it in a popper or just dry? I'd like to do this--like raeder63 said--get rid of the chemicals!
No oil , I use about an 1/8 cup , plain popcorn ( red is my favorite, so tender ) play with your times , just listen for the popping to slow , it is much different if you are used to the microwave kind and salt does not stick well if you are eating it for a snack , unless you use REAL melted butter ,mmmmm , still better for you than all the chemicals ! I quickly got used to it and now would not go back to the microwave chemical loaded kind ! I know this is off topic but in a year I have lost almost 45 lbs just being more conscious of the processed chemical laden foods I put in my mouth, not a purest by any means just more aware , and yes I melt real butter on my popcorn !
Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 PM

trivia42 - I didn't see molasses in the recipe - what am I missing. Definitely using this recipe. Thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 PM

I ate something quite similar tonight at quilt guild. It was wonderful, so I asked for the recipe. Caramel-Marshmallow Popcorn: Place 1/2 cup butter & 1/2 cup brown sugar in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well & add 10 large marshmallows. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir and microwave another 1/2 minute. Stir and pour over 12 cups of popped corn & enjoy. Warning: It was addictive!
Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Now that I have given you the warning, I will give you the greatest popcorn recipe I have ever found.
Buy a box of Rice Crispies, follow the directions for rice crispy treats, except use popcorn instead of Rice Crispies. Makes fast and easy popcorn balls, and won't pull your fillings out. Grandma made these every Christmas tinted green and red. Still my favorite Christmas treat, even with dentures! (BTW- remove all of the 'old maid' kernels before you put the marshmallow on the popcorn.)