Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Carried Away with Goodies >

Carried Away with Goodies

Carried Away with Goodies

Old 12-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I used to but every time I turned around DH kept opening the oven. That would cut back and knock the temp down. He did it one too many times so the last time he did it And he didn't like how they turned out, I pitched every one of them. 6dozen into the trash. His mother knew why when he called and complained. She told him to stay out of the oven. He bragged about how good a cook his grandmother was. She made everyone stay out of the kitchen who even attempted to open the oven door. She would hit them with a poker. It was a would burning stove!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:12 AM

We're snowbirding in a trailer with an unreliable oven and not much counter space...so it's English toffee. OnChristmas day,the DGKids will bake whatever cookies they want with me.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:22 AM

For years I made six or more different cookies and five or more different candy's every Christmas. Now I am older and not able to do that much work I have cut down to fudge and a couple of cookies. Always pecan pies, wouldn't be Christmas without them.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 AM

My daughter and I make:

caramel
chocolate turtles
white peppermint bark
chocolate covered pretzels

and whatever kind of cookies she wants to bake.

Fun!

Jane
Old 12-13-2014, 02:09 PM
mac

I used to bake a lot around Christmas-time. It was a tradition my mom started before I was born. She really went to town on making cookies. She would make around 15 different kinds and of each of those she would triple the recipe and make several batches. Even though I liked to bake, I would get really tired of it after awhile. I was not only the helper, but the clean up and wash and dry person.

She would share with the family and our friends and she didn't just give them a little box, she gave them a 1/4 to 1/2 sheet cake boxes away. The closer the friend or family, the more they got. Even the garbage men and the postal people would get a large box from her.

One year, when I was in junior high school, I complained about this one teacher that was really mean to me. He had my brother in school ten years before. I guess my brother was a smart a$$ to him and he never forgot. I wasn't a bad kid, but I did talk a lot. Mr. Welch decided that the apple didn't fall far from the tree and would scold me every chance he got and it showed in my grades. My mother made him up a 9" cake box of cookies for Christmas. Mr. Welch was so surprised that anyone would give him anything (he was a very crotchity teacher) that he could barely speak. I learned that year that Mr. Welch had lost his wife a few years earlier and he told me that she used to bake a lot too. It really touched him and after that Mr. Welch and I were good friends.

I learned several lessons that year:
People who are grumpy may have a good reason for it
Being nice to someone that everyone else has given up on may make a big difference in that person's life
Giving someone a gift of baked goodies can make anyone feel special
Old 12-13-2014, 02:27 PM

I make Pumpkin Bread every year... the same recipe for the past 44 years.

Pumpkin Bread

2/3 cup Shortening
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
1 (1-pound) can Pumpkin
2/3 cup Water
3-1/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1-1/2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground Cloves
1 cup Pecans, broken
1 cup Raisins

Cream shortening and sugar thoroughly. Beat in eggs, pumpkin, and water. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Add to the pumpkin mixture. Stir in the pecans and raisins. Pour in two (2- quart) greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F. for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Yield: Two large or three medium loaves.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:41 PM

The cookies are just as good frozen. Thats my trouble.
Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
Every year on Black Friday, instead of shopping, DD and I make cookies. This year we made 13 batches of cookies and a batch of pumpkin fudge. We make the cookies smaller than the recipe calls for and then we each take half. She fills gift bags for her co-workers. This year there were 21 co-workers. Half of my share gets mailed to the other DD and family in MD. They all keep well in the freezer, so I only bring a few out at a time for DH and I to indulge.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
Every year on Black Friday, instead of shopping, DD and I make cookies. This year we made 13 batches of cookies and a batch of pumpkin fudge. We make the cookies smaller than the recipe calls for and then we each take half. She fills gift bags for her co-workers. This year there were 21 co-workers. Half of my share gets mailed to the other DD and family in MD. They all keep well in the freezer, so I only bring a few out at a time for DH and I to indulge.
This year, I will continue to kill myself in the kitchen, as this is how I relax. I have made 4 kinds of cookies,pecan carmels,7batches of nuts and bolts, and peanut butter fudge. Wish Quilter 53 would share her pumpkin fudge recipe(I have only made once and what a disaster). Please share. I am doing our quilters luncheon for 12-13 girls on tuesday, I do this every 3rd tuesday and I will suprise each girl with a cookie box. They are great ladies. I did a garage sale today, sold 34 of my 200 cookbooks. Enough is enough. Everyone have a wonderful holiday.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:33 PM

What's a mama kat cookie??
Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
My mom can't stop making banana nut bread. Every time she gets some bananas, she makes this stuff. I have two loaves in my freezer and I don't know how many she has. Everyone in the family can expect some banana nut bread this Christmas. Mom is 80 and daddy is 83 and they are still making candy and cooking for the holidays. I am blessed to still have them.
Yes you are! I hope I'm going so strong when I'm that age.