Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Choc Chip Cookies  any new ones >

Choc Chip Cookies any new ones

Choc Chip Cookies any new ones

Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 AM

Thanks everyone, I am baking cookied today.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 AM

This recipe can be modified to suit your tastes or what is lurking in your stash. It is a good one for using up small amounts of nuts, dried fruit or chips remaining from holiday baking. You can substitute half butter if desired. Mix these ingredients in order. 3/4 c. shortening, a big dollop of peanut butter, 3/4c. white sugar, 3/4c. packed brown sugar, 2lg. or 1jumbo egg. Cream these ingred thoroughly. Add 1tsp. baking soda dissolved in1tsp. warm water, 1tsp. salt, 1or 2tsp vanilla, mix well. Add by 1/4 cups, 2 1/4 c. plain flour, 2 cups quick oats, mix thoroughly. To this firm dough add, softened, chopped dried fruit or raisens, chopped nuts, 1/2 12oz pkg. chocolate chips folding in after each addition. Drop dough blobs on greased cookie sheet and bake in a 350deg. oven for about 12 min. More time for large cookies, less time for small cookies and do not overbake. Let the cookies setup for a minute or two before removing and place on a wire rack to cool. Do not try to stack these cookies till they are completely cool. This dough is really great for bar cookies and even easy to modify to your taste once the shortening, sugar, salt, leavening agent, flour and quick oats have been mixed. Get creative. Store the cooled cookies in a container or cookie jar. If you want to hide them put them in an oatmeal box and place in the pantry.

Last edited by judi wess; 10-24-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 AM

P.S. Sometimes I increase the shortening and sugars to 1cup each. This makes them a little softer and richer. Have fun with this. By the way, I forgot the peanut butter once and was disappointed in the result. These don't taste like peanut butter cookies, just a little more flavorful.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM

Everyone loves these cookies:
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cream together well:
1 1/2 cup butter (3 sticks) room temperature
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs (room temperature)
2 tbsp vanilla
In another bowl combine:
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
Add to cream mixture
add 24 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use more)
1 cup chopped walnuts
Bake 11-14 minutes - Be sure to do one test cookies to get the right time for your size cookie
Let sit 3 minutes in pan
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
Could you share this? Sounds good. Thanks
That's funny. My great niece asked her grandmother if she had the recipe for chocolate chip cookies that her late mother used to make. She said they had vanilla pudding mix in it. I got on line and found several that were about the same. I just happened to see Baker's chocolate chips in a brown pouch on the grocery shelves. It had the recipe on the back. Of course, you don't have to use Baker's chocolate chips:

1 c butter or margarine, softened
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) vanilla flavored instant pudding
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
1 t baking soda
2 1/4 c flour
1 pkg. (12 oz.) chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Beat butter, sugars, dry pudding mix and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until blended. Add eggs and baking soda; mix well. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake8-10 min., or until golden brown. Cool 3 min. on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

Variation: Prepare dough as directed; spread on bottom of 13x9 baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 375 degree F oven 20-25min. or until golden brown. Cool before cutting into bars. Makes 24 servings. Individual cookies would probably produce more.

I am making these cookies this afternoon.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL ..now I am hungry for cookies .. On goes the oven in a bit .. LOL Thanks for sharing ...
Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
If you are adding instant pudding mix to the dough, do you cut back on any of the usual sugars? Recipes, please! Making me hungry.
No because I use sugar free pudding mix, but like the softness the pudding makes.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 PM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

The hubby says these are the best chocolate cookies he has had. I've made these several times and got many compliments. They are really soft and chewy.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM

I saw these two pages a few weeks ago and found them fascinating (OK, I am a bit of a nerd ) Very detailed...uses the basic Toll House recipe to begin with, then tweaks. Lots of pics of results.
http://www.handletheheat.com/2013/07...p-cookies.html
http://www.handletheheat.com/2013/08...es-part-2.html

"Have you ever wondered why chocolate chip cookies can be chewy, crisp, soft, flat, thick, cakey, greasy, bland, flavorful, moist, or crumbly?

In this post I’m going to share with you how various ingredients and techniques can affect the taste, texture, and appearance of your chocolate chip cookies. This will hopefully help you understand how chocolate chip cookies work so you can make the PERFECT batch every time, whatever you consider to be perfect..."
Old 10-25-2013, 03:52 PM

There is a bakers blog at: http://www.bakersroyale.com/cookies/...e-chip-cookie/
that posted her idea of the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I have always used the Neiman Marcus/ Mrs Fields recipe (they are the same) that was referenced by a previous poster, as has the blogger. I am anxious to try her posted recipe as she feels it is better than my regular and up until trying it didn't think there was a better one either. Hopefully I will get to them tomorrow.