Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cooking "Greens"  help needed !! >

Cooking "Greens" help needed !!

Cooking "Greens" help needed !!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tutty
Hi, joined a organic farm co op with my sis !! Good right ? Well they will be having a get together and you need to bring a cooked veg or green to it with a recipe ! Well not to up on cooking Greens especially when you don't want to use bacon or ham !!!! Can anyone out there help me ? We are talking mustard, collard, kale, spinach,turnip and and and and MAN oh Man did not know how many greens they grew !!!! Please , pretty please with sugar on top some real simple tasty cooked or whatever greens recipes you might have !!! Thank you , Bless You ! Maybe everyone can benifit from this ? Yay !!!!
Do you like beets? Beet greens are the best! Taste like beets of course!
Y'know...all of those leafy greens are basically cooked the same,, First cut the rib stems out, and then the leafy parts are steamed for a short time in a small amount of PLAIN water! Don't add seasoning! Don't add salt! It fades the bright green color!
Wait until they are cooked and taste them. Mostly, the best taste comes from only a bit of real butter melted over them.
One of my favorites is cooked lettuice! All kinds! Make some, and ask the guests to guess what kind of exotic beautiful pale greens you brought!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Thank you !! I did get many ideas and each one sounds interesting but I would guess this would be a good place to start and then try each one til everyone in group enjoys something !! Have several I need to get going on tomorrow ! I must say I do not have any beet greens from this visit but when I do.....cause I like beets ! more thanks !

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by tutty
Hi, joined a organic farm co op with my sis !! Good right ? Well they will be having a get together and you need to bring a cooked veg or green to it with a recipe ! Well not to up on cooking Greens especially when you don't want to use bacon or ham !!!! Can anyone out there help me ? We are talking mustard, collard, kale, spinach,turnip and and and and MAN oh Man did not know how many greens they grew !!!! Please , pretty please with sugar on top some real simple tasty cooked or whatever greens recipes you might have !!! Thank you , Bless You ! Maybe everyone can benifit from this ? Yay !!!!
Do you like beets? Beet greens are the best! Taste like beets of course!
Y'know...all of those leafy greens are basically cooked the same,, First cut the rib stems out, and then the leafy parts are steamed for a short time in a small amount of PLAIN water! Don't add seasoning! Don't add salt! It fades the bright green color!
Wait until they are cooked and taste them. Mostly, the best taste comes from only a bit of real butter melted over them.
One of my favorites is cooked lettuice! All kinds! Make some, and ask the guests to guess what kind of exotic beautiful pale greens you brought!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM

Thank you everyone ! good ideas , sharing them with others and trying odds and soups and adding to other things I make because of your suggestions. thank you again !
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM

This is the way I prepare Swiss chard too, I saute in olive oil with garlic and to finish up I sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and fresh curls of parmesean cheese, yum!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:48 AM

We love greens....any kind....especially with cornbread and onions....my silly husband puts a tad of vinegar on his but I like the taste of the greens. I cook mine in salted water until tender....then I saute them in bacon drippings....super yummy....(not sauteed crisp more like warmed with the yummy bacon taste)....I usually then crumble the bacon on top with onions and enjoy....ummmmm....we've just sowed some seed in the garden and I can't wait for them to come up....I may have to look for dandelion and plantain in the yard to tide me over until the garden greens come up....
Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Wow I just made a soup out of mix greens , i started with grapeseed oil, then sauteed garlic diced carrot onion then added all the greens and chic broth , some v8 juice , pepper and gotta tell ya was good then but....continued and added canninelle beans and it's is really good if i say so myself ! enjoy your greens everyone !!