Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cooking quick bread. >

Cooking quick bread.

Cooking quick bread.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:16 AM

Default Cooking quick bread.

when we moved 3000 miles, I discarded loaf pans. Hadn’t used them and they were getting rusty. Now I need to replace them. What do you like and why; glass or metal?
Old 09-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I use a couple of cast iron loaf pans. I love how it bakes bread and meatloaf. Also I have a Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pan. It is bigger then the cast iron one and bakes fantastic.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:39 AM

I sometimes make quick bread in an 8" x 8" pan, cooks faster.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:54 AM

I just use those old fashioned aluminum bread pans. The ones I have are a bit heavier than the newer ones. I don't even know if you can get them anymore. I have had mine for years and they were my mother's and grandmother's before that. When I saw some at a rummage sale, I grabbed them too. I do grease and flour them but the bread always bakes just fine and comes out easily. Made some banana, blueberry, walnut bread this morning and made some of the "porridge bread" a week ago.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:15 PM

I use the metal pans, simply because I have several, and they are the sizes I like. I have a few of the glass ones, but they are bigger, and usually get used for meatloaf.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:38 PM

I like the glass ones so I can be sure how brown the bottom is.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I use the metal pans, simply because I have several, and they are the sizes I like. I have a few of the glass ones, but they are bigger, and usually get used for meatloaf.
yes, there are two sizes of loaf pans. The wider ones are meant for meatloaf. Probably won't make a difference in quick breads, but with yeast breads you definitely want the narrower pans for a nicely shaped loaf.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:55 PM

Definitely glass! More cleaner and can put in dishwasher. I don't like to hear a knife sliding against metal. Most of the time I make my breads in my Breadmaker machine. Its metal but for a reason.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:38 AM

I have several different sizes of metal loaf pans. We used the small narrow ones to make fruit cake years ago for gifts. I usually tip my bread out of the pans in 5-10 minutes to cool. I guess most of mine are now officially antiques!
Old 09-14-2022, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I had a glass Anchor pie plate bust in the oven. I was told by Anchor I probably had a scratch etched into class dish. Dishes with scratches can break when heated. If any clear baking dish has visible scratches I don't use it for baking.