Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Deviled eggs - egg salad >

Deviled eggs - egg salad

Deviled eggs - egg salad

Old 08-24-2016, 02:44 AM

Wicked chickens lay deviled eggs

For deviled eggs I use cream cheese, a little mayo and a little bit of spicy mustard. I decorate with half of a black olive and sprinkle with paprika. Light n fluffy.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by LynnG View Post
Wicked chickens lay deviled eggs

For deviled eggs I use cream cheese, a little mayo and a little bit of spicy mustard. I decorate with half of a black olive and sprinkle with paprika. Light n fluffy.
That sounds good and a bit different...will try....
Old 08-24-2016, 04:48 AM

LynnG that does sound interesting I think I too will try it.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Best deviled eggs I've ever had were recently at a dinner. She said Marzetti's Slaw Dressing instead of mayo. I found a jar of it at Walmart, but have not tried it.
I

I use Kraft Coleslaw dressing - try that with cucumbers and a little onion and parsley and black pepper. Marzetti's would taste about the same. Enjoy. Edie
Old 08-24-2016, 05:34 AM

I make my deviled eggs like a lot of you- mayo, a touch of mustard, and pickle relish- but my friend uses mayo, a little salt, pepper, and bacon. We all make her bring these eggs to any event and everyone loves them!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 AM

Mariposa, you are using Hellman's, Best Foods and it are one in the same, just sold in different parts of the country. I loved and used nothing else for years, but Hellman's, then was perturbed when they went to 30 oz jars. Switched to Duke's, still 32 oz, and really like it. I think companies feel customers are stupid and never read labels.

Here's an article regarding same ingredients, different labeling names: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250304.html

For my deviled eggs, I use mayo and a small amount of Marzetti's Slaw Dressing, gives it a sweet flavor like if you put pickle relish in. I like my eggs smooth, not pickle bumpy. If I have no Marzettis, I just use some pickle relish juice to give it the sweetness. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Egg salad gets the same except I sometimes use the relish in it. When boiling eggs, I put 2 heaping tsp of baking soda in the water, bring to a full boil, turn off, let set on burner for 20 min. Then immediately run under cold water and let set in it as you peel. It helps when peeling them. If you want them in shell for later, put them into fridge asap.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I like the sharpness of 1/3+ mustard, -2/3 mayo (Dukes!) in both. Egg salad is just chopped rather than mashed deviled eggs to me -- and I top deviled eggs with a sprinkle of paprika. No pickles please!

Jan in VA
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 AM

Jbl137 is right. There is nothing like Duke's mayo, but if you're transplanted in other parts of the country, you have to improvise. I use Hellman's and I think it's a good substitution. My deviled eggs are made using yellow mustard and mayo, and I sprinkle paprika on top. When I make egg salad for sandwhiches, aka deviled egg sandwiches, I make it with the same ingredients, or sometimes I make a variation with mayo and sweet relish.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:58 AM

I actually like just a touch of curry in my egg salad (in my tuna salad as well).
Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 AM

My deviled eggs contain 1/2 miracle whip-1/2 hellman's lite, mustard, salt, pepper, dash of sugar and 1/4 to 1/2 t. white vinegar. My mother made her potato salad the same way and I find that it makes deviled eggs just a little more tasty to use the sugar and vinegar.