Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Deviled eggs - egg salad >

Deviled eggs - egg salad

Deviled eggs - egg salad

Old 08-24-2016, 10:23 AM

The best deviled eggs I ever made were an accident of planning. I had a very dear BIL that had asked me to make him some deviled eggs for Thankgiving dinner. Along with everything else I had to do that week, I forgot to be sure I had sweet and/or dill relish. In desperation, I grabbed the jar of something (his mom made by the gallon) that she called "chow-chow", a southern regional relish type goodie. I chopped some up small and used it to make the deviled eggs. They were a huge hit with his family who had never tried it, but had eaten her chow-chow all thier lives. Unfortunately that lovely lady is gone now and none of us got her recipe, so we just have the memory of her culinary gift. Warm memories. She once threatened to "slap the silly right out" of my sister that had us all laughing. She was a gem.

Last edited by madamekelly; 08-24-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes wonder why people are so reluctant to share a recipe. So many good ones have been lost when the maker died.

Even when shared, it seldom comes out exactly like the first person makes it.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM

I love chow-chow. I grew up eating the stuff because my family canned it each year. We usually ate it with beans and cirnbread. I'll bet it's good in deviled eggs.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 AM

I make my potato salad with mayo, yellow mustard, dill pickles, eggs, and sometimes onions. I am a southern girl living up north. I've been asked for the recipe more than a couple times.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM

I make deviled eggs with mayo, a little worcestershire sauce, a little pickle juice (have to have the pickle juice, relish would work, but I have weird texture "issues"), ground mustard (the dry stuff, just a dash). Sometimes I add a little turmeric, garlic powder/onion powder, paprika, or dill. I've also added a little curry for something different. One time, I replaced the mayo with melted butter, and that was really good too.

For egg salad, I do the same thing, but might add relish and/or onions.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:48 PM

I do what Mariposa does.....learned about using mustard instead of salt at Weight Watcher's. I also use Best Foods Light as no Hellman's or Duke's here in CA. I seldom make deviled eggs, but would make them the same only without the relish. I don't usually put relish in my egg salad either, but have and it's OK.....
Old 08-24-2016, 02:40 PM

For egg salad I put eggs, of course, cut up, onion, Miracle whip & about a T. or less of yellow mustard, For deviled eggs just Miracle whip, a little mustard & the I sprinkle paprika on top when they are all put together
Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM

I have to have green olives in mine. If they are small ones, I put them in whole. Then the mayo, mustard, and if I have fresh basil leaves, chop them up and add them. Also celery seed. Also a small amount of my home made sweet pickle juice, not much though.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

I boiled some eggs to make deviled eggs one time and then realized I was out of mayo so I used tarter sauce. It worked ok.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:29 AM

so many brilliant ideas! I'm going to try thousand island dressing in place of mayo next time I make tuna sandwiches.
Rob has taking over the cooking and I never ask what's in something, just eat it. I never want to get the job back