Dinner Rolls with an Egg Shell type of crust >

Dinner Rolls with an Egg Shell type of crust

Dinner Rolls with an Egg Shell type of crust

Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Yes I had to laugh I think chocolate gravy and hard rolls are in order. lol
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM

i found this on line:
Egg Shell Rolls
Thisrecipe is from a half-century-old booklet developed by General Mills forcommercial bakers. It is equally comfortable in the home kitchen. Egg whites,whipped to a light peak, produce a thin, crisp paper-shell crust that will keepthe rolls fresh and delicious for a long period of time. Store in a bread boxor paper sack. Don't place them in a plastic bag or they will quickly losetheir crispness. If this should happen, reheat the rolls.
1 Dozen Large, 2 Dozen Small Rolls

• 3 to 4 cups bread flours, approximately
  • 1 package yeast
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water (100-120 degrees F)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 teaspoon malt extract (optional)
  • 2 egg whites
1. BAKINGSHEET: One 11"-x-17" baking sheet,greased or Teflon.
2. BYHAND OR MIXER - 15 minutes: In alarge bowl or mixer bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups of flour, yeast, salt, andwater. Stir to blend. Cream the sugar and shortening together and drop into thebatterlike dough. Add malt extract, if available.
3. Beatthe egg whites to a light peak and fold into the mixture. Add the balance ofthe flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until it becomes a shaggy mass, moist andstringy.
4. KNEAD- 6-8 minutes: Turn the dough onto afloured work surface and knead with a strong push-turn-fold motion by had for 8minutes or 6 minutes with a dough hook. Dough will be elastic and smooth.
5. BYPROCESSOR - 5 minutes: Place2 cups of flour and the yeast, salt, water, sugar, shortening, and maltextract, if available, in the work bowl. Pulse 3 or 4 times to blend theingredients. Set aside for a moment. Whip the egg whites and add to the workbowl. Pulse to blend.
6. Addremaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, pulsing each time to blend the ingredients.Add the last cup of flour with care so that the dough doesn't suddenly turninto a hard ball.
7. KNEADING- 50 seconds: When the dough cleans the sides of the workbowl and rides in a ball on top of the blade, knead for 50 seconds. Dough willbe soft and elastic.
8. FIRSTRISING - 1-1 1/2 hours: Placethe dough in a greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and place in awarm spot (80-90 degrees F.) to double in size.)
9. SHAPING- 10 minutes: For small rolls, cut the dough into 1-ouncepieces, about the size of a golf ball. For larger rolls, cut the dough into 2-or 3-ounce pieces. Roll tight balls under the palm. Press down hard as you rollthe dough.
10. Placethe rolls on the baking sheet, taking care to allow sufficient room between each so they will not touch during rising. If they do, they will not brownoverall as they should.
11. SECONDRISING - 45 minutes: Coverrolls and put in a worm place until double in volume, about 45 minutes.
12. PREHEAT: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 20 minutes before baking.
13. BAKING- 400 degrees F. - 25-30 minutes: Placebaking sheet on the middle shelf of the oven. Baking time will be between 25and 30 minutes, depending on the size of the rolls. Rolls will be done when agolden brown.
14. FINALSTEP: Place crispy rolls on rack to cool. Serveimmediately or store in a paper sack to preserve crust.
15. Ifrolls should lose their crispiness, reheat in 300 degree F oven for 15 minutes.Rolls may be frozen. Thaw and reheat.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM

I tried WMD926's recipe, awesome! thought adding beaten egg white to dough would just simply deflate the whites, but these are really nice! Next week I'll try the dutch crust ones...
Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 AM

WMD926's recipe is the same as the Bernard Clayton one. I hadn't been able to find it online. I'm glad to know how it turned out! I'll have to give it a try next time I need rolls. There is a church potluck coming up...