Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you have a favorite "easy" food you make ? >

Do you have a favorite "easy" food you make ?

Do you have a favorite "easy" food you make ?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:58 PM

Most my meals fall under the category of easy in my mind, but it you are referring to few pots and pans or steps between prep and serving, I guess my easiest is meal loaf, baked potatoes, roasted cauliflower and squash. Everything cooks in the oven, minimal prep and everything is ready at the same time.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:45 AM

We adopted two kids ages 10 and 12. They turned out to be very hungry and pork chops were their favorite meal. They also like pigs in a blanket. A hot dog sliced lengthwise and fried, then wrapped in a slice of bread with a slice of cheese. They could make those disappear as fast as I could make them. They are now 47 and 49 all grown up and gone. I sure miss them.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:22 AM

I marinate chicken breasts in Italian salad dressing. Then I either throw them on the grill or I roll them in bread crumbs and bake for 45 min. to an hour in a 350 degree oven. Voila.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:38 AM

I brown chicken breasts in a little oil, put them in a casserole dish and cover with Cream of Chicken soup. Bake one hour and serve with mashed potatoes and a cooked green vegetable (never broccoli which I hate and DH can't eat). The soup makes it own gravy. If I am in a hurry, I just put the frozen chicken breasts straight into the oven with the soup, it works great that way too. My friend prefers Cream of Mushroom and another likes Cream of Celery.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:16 AM

I put a beef roast and a pork roast into a roaster with tight cover, big enough to hold how much meat I have. (I have made up to 10 pounds of meat this way.) Pour mushroom soup over it. From one half can to two cans according to how much meat you have. Then sprinkle generously with Onion soup mix. Cover tightly with foil, put roaster cover on and cook at 250º for 12 hours.

Yes, put it into the oven before you go to bed or very early in the morning. You have the best ready-made gravy you ever tasted.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Anything on the back of the Bisquick box.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

A seven bone pot roast. Start a kettle of water and beef broth. Enough to cover your roast in the pot. You brown all sides after dusting with salt and pepper and dredging in flour in a little oil. When it is almost done, throw in ringed slices of a large onion and saute them until clear. When it is browned, pour over hot liquid broth and a quarter cup of vinegar. It tenderizes the meat to perfection. Cover and bring to a boil, turn down the heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes per pound of meat. You can add a little Kitchen Bouquet here, a grocery store flavoring. About a half an hour before serving, throw in chunks of carrot and potato and celery to cook. Then, If you like your stew to have a gravy, use corn starch to thicken the liquid to a gravy after setting the meat and potatoes into a covered dish to keep it warm. Not easy per say, but all of the steps are so paced out, that is is no trouble to make. Serve with crusty rolls from the bakery. And if there is company, a pie. Easy peasy.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 10-15-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I'm doing this to get more activity on this thread. My family loves pork chops this way and they're pretty darn easy.

Brown pork chops and put in an oven proof dish. Layer on sliced onion. In bowl, mix 1 can cream of chicken soup with 2-3 Tblsp. ketchup and 2 Tblsps Worchestershre sauce. This is enough for 2 or 3 pork chops, so double up everything if you are making more chops. Pour over chops, cover and bake 325 for hour or more. This makes its own amazing gravy so mashed potatoes are necessary. Our SIL thinks he's in Heaven if he gets this.
I don't really have a favorite but I made slow cooker chicken and dumplings today. It is easy and tasty (but a little salty). I put 3 chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Add 1 cut up onion. Covered with two cans of cream of chicken soup plus a couple of tablespoons of butter. Cover with water (you could use chicken broth). Cook on high for 4 hours, added 1 can of biscuit dough (could use more if you want). I cooked for two more hours on high.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:53 PM

My easy dish is enchilada casserole. Instead of rolling the corn tortillas with the meat and cheese. I layer flat tortillas with meat,sauce and cheese, usually 3-4 layers in a 9"x13" dish. (Don't forget to spray the dish with Pam before putting the food in the dish)The last layer is covered in sauce, cheese and sliced black olives and any left over meat. I bake at 350f for about 35 minutes, until the cheese is melted and everything is bubbling. It tastes the same but with far less work.
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-15-2016, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Broiled salmon steaks... cooked pretty much like chasing hawk said, only I season with salt, pepper and dill once I turn it top side up. (No barbecue sauce.) The fish is ready in 10 minutes and all you need to add is a salad, or another veggie if you wish. Super fast, super easy, super nutritious meal! Salmon is full of omega3 and protein. Spinach salad gives you a ton of B vitamins, and C... to help you stay healthy and immune from all the crud that goes around.