Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Dumplings >

Dumplings

Dumplings

Old 12-17-2015, 05:19 AM

In reading thru the recipies posted I noticed 2 different kinds of "dumplings". One is the drop from spoon kind that swells up & sort of forms a ball when cooked. The other is the roll out kind that is flat. It is rolled out & cut into pieces & dropped into boiling broth. If "fluffy" for either kind is what you want then let the egg out. Both kinds should have some type of shortening (crisco, butter, etc) to make them "Short" & tender.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 AM

I learned from a great cook to roll them thin and drop gently into chicken broth. She was a farm gal and used lard, absolutely delicious.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I only make the fluffy dumplings, all I will eat. No eggs in them. I either make with bisquick or make from scratch. Another food I could eat everyday but, only make a few times a year.
Yours and some others are what I call homemade egg noodles.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sassy granny View Post
Everybody raves about my dumplings. Years ago we, in our neighborhood , had quiltings every Monday at one of the neighbors house and 8 to 12 of more ladies came to quilt . They rotated from one person to another each week and the person of the house always cooked a big dinner and chicken and dumplings was always at the head of the menu, it was called a quilting dinner. Anyway I was young then and didn't know how to make dumplings and one particular lady was a real dumpling maker and she always had to make the dumplings for the ones that didn't know how. She taught me how and this is how I make them to this day. I have to make big batchs now but I started out with the 2 cup measure. I use 2 cups self rising flour, a scant 1/4 cup canola oil, you can use butter or shortening, and cold water, enough to make a good pliable dough. I do not put eggs or milk in my dumplings. Turn the dough out on well floured board or I use wax paper, and roll out pretty thin, unless you like a thick fluffy dumpling. I then cut strips across the short side of the dough and pick up a strip at a time and break off bite size pieces and drop in the boiling broth. Keep pushing the dough just dropped down to the bottom of the kettle. When you get all dropped, turn down the heat a bit and let cook until done, about 15 or 20 minutes. I hope this helps.
That's how my mama made them and they were the absolute best dumplings EVER! She made them that way for 70 years - until she was no longer able to cook. that was a very sad day for me.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:16 AM

I am a Bisquick biscuit maker too. Love them for anything and everything and best of all, I slice them in half and toast them and glob some butter and jam (any kind is GOOD) and makes for a super breakfast, lunch, light supper, dessert, night time snack. I love Bisquick!!!!! Edie
Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
This is how I make dumplings but I don't think they are tender enough. What shall I do different ?

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 whisked egg
Enough milk to make a stiff dough
It is the egg that stiffens it. Try one of the recipes without egg and maybe drop off the spoon.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM

This is my no-fail, delicious every time dumpling recipe...
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 cup regular milk
1/2 cup buttermilk.

Stir, turn out on floured board and roll around till coated with flour, roll out pretty thin, take a pizza cutter and cut one way and then the other for small squares. My broth (I-1/2 cartons of chicken broth, or 3-4 cans, 1 stick of butter and 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup is heating on the stove, once it boils, I start dropping the dumplings in till they are all in, add chopped cooked chicken and stir once, put on lid, turn fire down to low, cook for 20-30 minutes..put in the black pepper...and they are delicious...
Old 12-18-2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by sassy granny View Post
Everybody raves about my dumplings. Years ago we, in our neighborhood , had quiltings every Monday at one of the neighbors house and 8 to 12 of more ladies came to quilt . They rotated from one person to another each week and the person of the house always cooked a big dinner and chicken and dumplings was always at the head of the menu, it was called a quilting dinner. Anyway I was young then and didn't know how to make dumplings and one particular lady was a real dumpling maker and she always had to make the dumplings for the ones that didn't know how. She taught me how and this is how I make them to this day. I have to make big batchs now but I started out with the 2 cup measure. I use 2 cups self rising flour, a scant 1/4 cup canola oil, you can use butter or shortening, and cold water, enough to make a good pliable dough. I do not put eggs or milk in my dumplings. Turn the dough out on well floured board or I use wax paper, and roll out pretty thin, unless you like a thick fluffy dumpling. I then cut strips across the short side of the dough and pick up a strip at a time and break off bite size pieces and drop in the boiling broth. Keep pushing the dough just dropped down to the bottom of the kettle. When you get all dropped, turn down the heat a bit and let cook until done, about 15 or 20 minutes. I hope this helps.
Your dumplings are what I call southern style. Yours are more like a thick noodle. Up here in the north, we use a basic drop biscuit dough dropped on top of a boiling hearty soup, and then covered to promote fluffy dumplings that are cooked through, they are amazing! DH always asks for dumplings whenever I make homemade soup. Doesn't matter if it is beef, chicken, pork, or vegetable soup. The only exception is bean soup, then it has to be northern corn bread.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:03 AM

madamekelly, I am curious. What is northern cornbread, and how is it different from other cornbread?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:31 AM

The recipe you make and dump in broth by spoonsfull are dumplings. If you roll them they are noodles and are a stiffer dough. Anyway, that's what my mama said!