Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Dumplings >

Dumplings

Dumplings

Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sharin'Sharon View Post
Well, my recipe has EGGS, and LOTS of them. Eggs and flour only. For my family, I beat up a dozen eggs and slowly add ONLY ENOUGH flour to make a loose, sticky dough (so that the dough will fall off the spoon with no struggle but not fall apart when dropping them into the broth). Using a WOODEN spoon, dip the spoon into your broth FIRST, then fill the spoon with dough and drop into the boiling broth. Dip spoon into broth EACH time so that the dough falls off the spoon easily. I don't add salt to them because usually we reserve the water from boiling a ham for our broth, throw in the ham bone to 'cook' off the excess ham and then I add a couple quartered potatoes cuz I don't like the dumplings like they do, and a small diced onion. When the potatoes are cooked, remove the ham bone and add more diced ham if you like, dump a jar or can of green beans (juice & all) into the broth, then drop in the dumplings. After they cook a bit, you can stir or turn the dumplings over and allow them to steam (covered) for a bit to cook them through and TA DA, you have a good ham 'n dumpling soup. You can season to your liking. My hubby's grandmother started doing this in the 1930's and family has passed this on in the family since. Let me know what you think (our 13 yo granddaughter has recently learned to make them because she LOVES the dumplings).
EDIT: After posting this, I find out that hubby's grandmother used to add a little milk with the eggs and flour. I find that interesting because my family has enjoyed the dumplings without the milk and have enjoyed them. LOL
Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM

I only like the fluffy kind, I used to make them sometimes on top of thick soup. I will never forget the time I was down south and ordered chicken and dumplings at a restaurant and got these gooey, thick noodles instead of fluffy dumplings!! Yuck! could hardly choke them down.