Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Was gifted 50 lbs premium Idaho potatoes Help! LOL >

Was gifted 50 lbs premium Idaho potatoes Help! LOL

Was gifted 50 lbs premium Idaho potatoes Help! LOL

Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Au Gratin, Scalloped, baked, and.......potato salad.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:03 AM

We live in Idaho and buy 50# boxes for $8-12 a box at potato processing plants nearby. We store them in our storage room that is dark and cool, that is in the basement. Covered in Burlap to keep light away from the potatoes which if exposed to light they will turn green. We live in the high desert area so our basements are dry. I would find the coolest part of your home. Our boxes last 6-8 weeks and there are just two of us now.

I've never met a potato dish I didn't like, however my husband isn't as crazy about potatoes as I am, but I'm the cook and he doesn't complain. It's been my experience that potatoes this time of year start sprouting 'eyes' quicker than the newer potatoes during the Fall, soon after harvest. I make sure to knock the eyes off as soon as they start, if you don't then the potatoes start getting mealy/soft.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My Dad always got 50 lb. bag of potatoes and onions each autumn for our root cellar. If you have a root cellar, they will keep for quite a while if they are in the burlap sack.
OMGoodness Tartan, root cellar brings back a flood of memories! Dark and Spiders!!!!! I'm to this day so afraid of spiders particularly, and I detest bugs in general. As a kid being sent to the root cellar to get vegetables or canned items was always filled with anxiety for me.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 PM

One of my favorite potato dishes is Italian Sausage and Potato Bake. I don't have an actual recipe, as I tend to just wing it. Basically, I usually use a lb. of Italian Sausage cut into chunks about 1-2", a potato for each person plus one for the pan (more if the potatoes are small), 1 onion sliced, 1 bell pepper cut into bite sized pieces or into thinish slices like the onion. Spray a cookie sheet or other shallow pan to prevent sticking. Mix all the ingredients together and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Sometimes I add extra rosemary.
Spread evenly in the pan and cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes then remove foil and bake till browned. Stir when you remove the foil. I usually bake at 350-400, both work fine. I like mine extra brown so the 400 is good for that.
No need to add oil as the grease from the sausage will be all you need.
Often I will cut the vegetables ahead of time then toss it all together in just minutes and pop it in the oven to bake. I have also cut and frozen the onions and peppers in freezer plastic bags, and added them frozen when ready to make it. They thaw and cook just fine that way.

This is great served with Italian bread with butter and a side salad.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

If you have a pressure canner, why not 'can' jars of potatoes for later use? That way they last for a few years if you don't need them. We peel and then cut into big chunks, then fill the jar and add salted water to the last 1/2" below the top. After canning we can store them and use them in recipes all winter. I love being able to open a jar of canned potatoes for a soup or stew, because they are already mostly cooked!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:17 PM

How about a good old fashioned "Shepherd's Pie"? It is one of my favorite casseroles.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 AM

If you have the freezer room you can freeze potatoes. When I had a bumper crop of them, I peeled and using a french fry cutter made a bunch of bags of french fries, partially fried, cooled and then bagged to the size for one meal to fit my family. Also, you might make some batches of potato soup and freeze it. If I don't can it I freeze it what comes from my garden.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 AM

I was raised in California, the corner next to Oregon and Nevada. It has the same climate as Idaho. My Dad raised about 40 acres of potatoes every year. My least favorite part was weeding them, but my favorite part was eating them. New peas and potatoes creamed was the best. New peas would come out of the garden about the time the potatoes were setting little tiny ones. Dad would have to sacrifice a couple of plants to check and bring in the little starts for Mom to cook in a medium cream sauce with the peas. I can taste it now.

I think you can freeze things like hash browns and french fries, but if our harvested potatoes would freeze in the cellar, they would spoil and turn to mush. Canning any you can't eat is best. Marcia
Old 03-22-2019, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

One of my favourites is this recipe ....
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...shed-potatoes/
While they say to make ahead and keep in frig ... you can also keep it for long periods in the freezer.

Before Christmas each year, I make potatoes. Lots of them! Using this recipe.
Freeze them in casseroles, and then just bring out whichever size is needed whenever!!
It gets all the mess and fuss out of the way, and actually I quite enjoy the day.
The nice part ... potatoes are ready and I don't do any work for them.

I'd also highly suggest you spend time on that Taste of Home site.
When I want a recipe, I go there, as I have never had a poor result.
They have all been total winners!

Bon Appetit!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:10 PM

I buy large bags of potatoes but do not have a wonderful storage situation so we eat from the bag for a couple of weeks and I finish off the bag by making and freezing mash potatoes in two cup serving portions that stack in my freezer. If you have access to an Instant Pot pressure cooker they are really quick to prepare.