Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Recipe for soup

Blog Entries

Recipe for soup

Looking for hearty soup recipe for Lenten soup night at church

/Users/ruthoneil/Desktop/thumbnail_IMG_2110.jpg
    I don't know if you'll be able to open this. It's a picture of a recipe for tortellini soup. If you can't open it, message me. OK? I've gotten lots of compliments on it.
    Ruth

Cheese Cauliflower Sautee 1/2 onion, 2 stocks celery and one carrot until soft. Break one head of cauliflower up into small pieces. Add one can of vegetable broth, simmer 12-15 minutes until cauliflower is tender. You can use a potato masher or stick blender to blend smooth. Add 1 cup milk, 2 TBls. butter, 2 tables flour or 1 cup heavy cream. 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My go-to (and one everyone I've shared it with raves about) is Artichoke-Sausage Soup--super easy too! Brown 1-1.5lb of ground Italian sausage, dump 2 cans of artichoke hearts (I use the prequartered ones to be really lazy) and 2 cans of diced tomatoes; 1-1.5 tsp of Italian seasoning, about 1-1.5 cans of water. Let simmer for at least 30 min. It's fantastic, especially served with a hard roll. You will get some initially that saw artichokes??? really?? but once they taste it they want the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    My go-to (and one everyone I've shared it with raves about) is Artichoke-Sausage Soup--super easy too! Brown 1-1.5lb of ground Italian sausage, dump 2 cans of artichoke hearts (I use the prequartered ones to be really lazy) and 2 cans of diced tomatoes; 1-1.5 tsp of Italian seasoning, about 1-1.5 cans of water. Let simmer for at least 30 min. It's fantastic, especially served with a hard roll. You will get some initially that saw artichokes??? really?? but once they taste it they want the recipe.
    This sound delicious to me. My DH does not care for artichokes but I may try it and not tell him what's in it. Do the artichokes cook down so you can't tell what they are or do they hold their shape?
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan used to be in FL when she chose this user name

A fat quarter is not a body part!

My DH, who doesn't like broccoli very much, enjoyed Copy Cat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235874/copycat-panera-broccoli-cheddar-soup/ I discovered that it freezes very well, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooky View Post
    Looking for hearty soup recipe for Lenten soup night at church
    Taco soup is a hearty soup everyone should love. Just google taco soup and you should find a good recipe. It's high in fiber and rich in protein.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
    This sound delicious to me. My DH does not care for artichokes but I may try it and not tell him what's in it. Do the artichokes cook down so you can't tell what they are or do they hold their shape?
    they basically cook down so you can tell there's something "green" there but the "leaves" soften and don't really look like artichokes. I hadn't made it for at least a month and after posting this I asked DH (who has the flu & I'm following around with Lysol wipes!) how that sounded for dinner tomorrow--he definitely wants me to make it--so picked up the ingredients today.

they basically cook down so you can tell there's something "green" there but the "leaves" soften and don't really look like artichokes. I hadn't made it for at least a month and after posting this I asked DH (who has the flu & I'm following around with Lysol wipes!) how that sounded for dinner tomorrow--he definitely wants me to make it--so picked up the ingredients today.
    One more question: do you dump with liquids from the cans or drain first? I am making this tonight!
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan used to be in FL when she chose this user name

A fat quarter is not a body part!

Santa Fe Cheese Soup (this is a quilters or working person’s dream it’s that easy)

1 can whole kernel corn (drain)
    1 can Pinto beans (drain)
    14 oz chicken broth
    1 can Rotel with chilis
    1 can chopped green chili’s (about 4 oz)
    1 can chunk white chicken (about 4 oz)
    About a pound or less of Velveeta (cubed)
    Mix all in crockpot, low setting 2-3 hours. Stir now & then. Serve with coarse broken tortilla chips & sour cream on the side. I double this but not double Velveeta.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
    One more question: do you dump with liquids from the cans or drain first? I am making this tonight!
    Jan, so sorry I didn't open up the Board last night--a late and not real pleasant guild meeting and just went to bed.

Yes--just dump all 4 cans into the drained, browned sausage. It's so simple that I always feel a little guilty--hope you like it!

Black bean soup recipe

3 cans of black beans with liquid
    1.5 cups of salsa
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 clove of garlic, chopped

Combine all in a pot, simmer until hot. Add extra chopped cilantro on top when serving.

ive made this 2x now and I actually simmer it most of the day. Leftovers are even better ! Thank you for sharing !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    ive made this 2x now and I actually simmer it most of the day. Leftovers are even better ! Thank you for sharing !
    so glad you like it--I agree the left overs even better and now with only 2 of us at home, it does freeze very well too--although it almost never makes it to our freezer!

I've had the Black Bean soup that Sue K posted (minus the Cilantro...can't stand the stuff) and it is delicious.

Watson

Glad you like the soup!

Here’s another good easy soup -
    Italian Sausage Soup
    1 pound roll of Italian Sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
    1 yellow onion, diced
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups chicken stock
    2 (15 ounce each) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 (15 ounce each) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained.
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram
    Dash of red pepper flakes
    Salt and pepper to taste

In a pot, brown sausage over medium high heat, add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onion and garlic is soft, about 3 minutes. Add everything else except salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.