Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
HELp with Meringue >

HELp with Meringue

HELp with Meringue

Old 06-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by kalady View Post
Hi Ladies,
I am the KitchenAid Lady on QVC, here is my 2 cents... no plastic, always glass or metal. Before I beat egg whites live on air I wipe down the bowl and beaters with white vinegar on a piece of paper towel so no trace of any oils- even those from your hands as you put in the beater.
This link is the perfect explanation for egg whites and the science behind them. http://www.ochef.com/223.htm
"Beating Egg Whites into Submission" Hope this helps. Love the wonderful info on this board. Laura Weathers
I use powdered sugar when I whip cream would that work in meringue?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 AM

This is a fool proof recipe. Wish I'd had it 40 years ago. Now my meringue is always perfect.

Mile High Meringue
1 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup water

3 egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar

Put first 3 ingredients in a 2 cup measure. Microwave for 1 or 2 minutes until clear. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Pour the sugar-cornstarch mixture slowly over the egg whites. Finish beating the egg whites for 8 minutes, but on medium speed. Put on top of pie and brown until light brown at 350.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 PM

I checked online and there are some recipes for the meringue that calls for water and cornstarch and cook on the stove then let it cool. Then beat egg whites and sugar till it is whipped into peaks. Then add the cooled cornstarch mixture in and continue mixing. I do not know the true ingredients but you can google "Problem with meringue pulls from crust. The pie and filling must be hot and when the meringue is ready spread to the crust and seal . One location said to spread the meringue to the crust and cover about half of the crust.