Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Here Comes Thanksgiving... >

Here Comes Thanksgiving...

Here Comes Thanksgiving...

Old 11-19-2021, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Make rolls...buy rolls...make rolls...buy rolls...I can't decide. I'd better do it soon because I'm running out of time to make them.
Unless your people reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaalllly like and appreciate your rolls, then the work is not worth it ..... buy them!
Old 11-20-2021, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

Stove Top Stuffing with Jimmy Dean sausage added to it is a family favorite for us.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:43 AM

that is what we did after we stopped making the from scratch stuffing. Now we even stopped adding the Jimmy Dean sausage....seems the Stove Top Stuffing hit on the right recipe! But...it absolutely has to be the chicken stuffing....not the turkey or any other variety. Feel a bit guilty about serving it cuz it is so easy....but that is what they demand!
Old 11-20-2021, 07:53 AM

That's the way our family is about gravy. Forget about from scratch. Clubhouse turkey gravy mix and turkey broth/drippings. Never fails and never lumpy. Win win!
Old 11-20-2021, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
😂yep, make it easier but don’t eliminate anything. Do as much as you can the day before and do it buffet style so you don’t have to bring everything to the table.
Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Make rolls...buy rolls...make rolls...buy rolls...I can't decide. I'd better do it soon because I'm running out of time to make them.
My thought, buy rolls. I used to make them from scratch and it was hard for the other food to compete against the fresh bread and everyone would fill up on rolls. Maybe do fresh baked rolls, as a meal, another time with cheese and cold cuts.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:37 PM

I mix my corn bread then I add all the seasons for the dressing, sage, dissolved bullion cubes, etc. and bake all in one. My grandmother would freeze any leftover bread, biskets, rolls, and add them to the mix and bake.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:40 AM

When it comes to stuffing/dressing, are you in the wheat bread camp, or the cornbread camp? Or, are you into something else altogether?
Old 11-21-2021, 01:03 PM

Neither! Plain old white bread, onion, celery, sage and broth, with lots of butter, was how my mom always made it. My in-laws always added nuts, apples and cranberries to theirs. My side of the family prefers my moms, and DH's prefers their style. I think it's all in what you were raised on. I had never had cornbread until I married DH. The only time we have it now is when/if he makes it!
Old 11-22-2021, 08:58 AM

Our traditional family recipe is to use white bread, onions, celery, parsley, spices, mushrooms, crumbled country sausage and the secret ingredient...chopped water chestnuts.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:26 AM

Hubby and I are camping at the beach in FL. We’re having fresh scallops and shrimp or whatever looks good to me at the fish market today. Same goes for the sides, fresh veggies, rolls, whatever the grocery store has that looks good. I’ll be cooking it outside of the RV, to stinky to cook inside. Happy Thanksgiving!