Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Here Comes Thanksgiving... >

Here Comes Thanksgiving...

Here Comes Thanksgiving...

Old 11-23-2021, 11:40 AM

Our local store just recalled the salad greens that I bought for Thanksgiving. E. coli possibility. I just threw them all out. I had better come up with some other veggies to serve, or it will be a heavy meal.

Rjwilder, your holiday sounds wonderful!
Old 11-23-2021, 01:52 PM

carrot sticks are always good, I stay away from store bought salad greens in general but look for fresh ones I can wash and ones I can peel. Of course any fresh veggie these days comes with a risk. I also buy frozen veggie mixes like broccolli, cauliflower, carrots, summer squash. They are still pretty good nuked with a little butter on them. You can add some spices and herbs.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I always was the host for our family dinners at thanksgiving and christmas. But, Covid has pared it down to just hubby and I for the last two years. Now that doesn't mean I don't do all of the whole meal, because hubby loves it so much. I have pared down the baking to just a pumpkin pie. It is the one and only pumpkin pie hubby has ever eaten that doesn't upset his tummy. I use the fresh pumpkin I steam after halloween and my aunt Ilene's recipe. Of course, a turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, Italian green beans with almonds, rolls and mom's purple stuff. It is a dish made with marshmallows, cream cheese, grape jello and pineapple, dream whip and then you fold it all together. So yummy that no-one in my family would stand for a big meal without that!

Today was the cranberry sauce and the purple stuff all made and in the refrigerator. Tomorrow will be set the table and bake the yams, make stuffing and snap the beans. Sometimes I do peel the potatoes and leave them in water in the frig.
Hubby bought a Traeger BBQ this week and wants to cook the turkey this year, so that is okay with me.
I am so grateful to him for buying me the new bernina sewing machine a couple weeks ago for christmas, I am happy to make him this meal.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Well the yams and potatoes were baked in the oven this morning. I decided to make twice baked potatoes instead of mashed. That makes it easier on me tomorrow. I got the stuffing all done and ready for the oven. I made the cheese and meat appitizer dish and the deviled eggs too. Now just for the pumpkin pie. That should not take long and I will set up the table. Hopefully I will be done by three-thirty. Not too bad this year.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:56 PM

I cleaned off the deck, so that we can sit outside for the appetizers. I managed to find some flowers in my overgrown flower garden. The Hydrangeas are now a dusky purple with a green tinge...really pretty! I had a couple of small, flat pumpkins that managed to make through to fall, so I carved out a hole in each and stuffed the Hydrangeas and some late roses, a few snapdragons and some burgundy grape leaves in them and added a little water. They aren't very professional looking, but they are very festive and look fun and sooo "country."

I started the turkey broth, but dang...I couldn't find the turkey neck inside of my turkey. I put the giblets in some water to boil. Better that than nothing. I have lots of roasted vegetable broth too, so I think that I'm good.

RedGarnet222, your purple stuff sounds fun and interesting. My sister had 4 boys and she always made a cranberry fluff thing that is similar. They absolutely loved it.

I have to say that this has been really fun following everyone's preparations for Thanksgiving. Thank you all for sharing. I hope that you all have a wonderful holiday!

Last edited by tropit; 11-24-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:58 PM

P.S. I made the rolls...fingers crossed that they turn out ok.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:49 PM

My son was the roll maker in the family. When he went off to school, then the military, I used frozen dough already shaped in dinner rolls. They weren't bad.
I always cooked for the family - usually about 25 - once 40. This year I'm going to my second's daughter's house. A whopping five people! I'm making a pecan pie, a fluffy cherry salad, an ice cream dessert that my third daughter likes and fresh green beans. There will a lot of leftovers to deal with. A granddaughter, her husband and daughter all have Covid. I suspect a lot of leftovers will end up on their porch.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:26 AM

We had a smoked turkey, I liked the flavor and only needing to heat, mashed potatoes, a small dish of stuffing, fresh cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, gravy and cream cheese. yes, cream cheese. My husband likes to make sandwiches with cream cheese and cranberry sauce. We will add other sides as we go through the leftovers such as green beans etc. We are grateful to be healthy and safe. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy sewing over this long weekend.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 AM

So...how'd everybody's meal turn out? We had some hits and misses. The turkey was perfect, moist and delicious. Mashed potatoes turned out great too..same with the yams and dressing. But the rolls didn't rise...augh! I have made these rolls so many times and they always come out great, so when I started them, I thought, "no problem, I got this." I made them the night before and put them in the fridge to rise. The rose about 1/3 of the way and I took them out to finish on the counter. They never rose any more than that. I had to throw them out. I should have listened to all of you and just bought the rolls.

My dau was in charge of the pies. She started texting me about some crazy pie crust that she was going to try. She said the exact same words I did about the rolls..."No problem. I got this!" The crusts came out so hard that I could not even chew it. The pies were inedible! Ha ha!!!! I didn't say a word about her pies and she didn't say word about my rolls.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I made the apple pie that the White House chef made for Presidents Bush and Obama. It was amazing!!!!!! Way different from how I usually make pies. The video is on Youtube. Pure awesomeness!

We had a small turkey because we were at our son's and they are vegetarian. Paul makes great Thanksgiving dinners but for some reason the turkey was kind of dry. He wasn't happy about it. All the sides and desserts were great though.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 11-28-2021 at 07:30 AM.