Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Here Comes Thanksgiving... >

Here Comes Thanksgiving...

Here Comes Thanksgiving...

Old 11-15-2021, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
Due to COVID, people moving away, and life changes, we are down to three for T'giving again this year. I'll roast a chicken and make mashed potatoes, some veg, and buy a nice cranberry relish in a jar. We aren't gravy people and only I will miss the stuffing. I have ordered a pie from a bakesale at a church. Planning a relaxing day!
I hear you. We will be doing "take out" meaning my sister with make the dinner, the rest of us will pick up "take out" from her. I live in a state that along with the half the country is seeing an upward count in covid cases. When I checked the states website this morning. My quarter of the state now has zero ICU beds available. It is indeed getting scary. Enjoy thanksgiving everyone but please stay safe.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:17 AM

It’s just my daughter and I so I have pared down the menu accordingly. A small ham from Honeybaked along with a pound of turkey. I will make a pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, a small green bean casserole and Acorn Squash. I buy Hawaiian Sweet rolls because she loves to make tiny slider sandwiches on them with the left overs. Usually enough for 3-4 days of meals afterwards. I like having more time to sew afterwards since there is so much leftover food less time spent cooking. Christmas dinner is pretty much the same thing.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Aha! I learned something from you all... buy rolls for sandwiches with the leftovers! Will do that this year.

We will be having Thanksgiving at our new (to us) house in Memphis. I plan to cook and freeze everything but the turkey ahead of time and bring it to Memphis. We will have turkey and gravy, dressing and mashed potatoes. Green bean casserole, and maybe sweet potatoes too. Also squash casserole. And for dessert, frozen pies. Just the usual fare.

I will put up a Christmas tree and have gifts ready for the kids. My son and his family are flying in from Iowa and we wont see them on Christmas... so I'm combining the two holidays a bit, to celebrate both while they are here.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I buy Hawaiian Sweet rolls because she loves to make tiny slider sandwiches on them with the left overs. Usually enough for 3-4 days of meals afterwards.
Thanks for this great idea, Tallchick! Think I'll look for some, too.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:54 AM

We celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving last month, and for our family, Christmas is the big get together and meal. Thank you for all the 'make it easier on yourself' suggestions. I am thinking about trying the stuffing muffins this year. They could be made ahead and just warmed up before the meal. It would certainly free up space in my oven.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:51 AM

I like the slider idea! I may buy some extra rolls at the store just to add to their take-home package. My SIL will love that.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:41 PM

Our Thanksgiving is over, but I did a bone-in ham, cheesey potato casserole, baked rolls, corn, brocolli salad, home made honey mustard sauce/glaze and apple crisp. None of us are turkey fans.

I froze the ham bone and put it up on the local FreeCycle site to see if anyone would like it for soup or beans. You wouldn't believe how many people wanted it! I had to draw a name from all of them. The lady who got it even posted a picture of the delicious dish she made with it.

Watson
Old 11-18-2021, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Our Thanksgiving is over, but I did a bone-in ham, cheesey potato casserole, baked rolls, corn, brocolli salad, home made honey mustard sauce/glaze and apple crisp. None of us are turkey fans.

I froze the ham bone and put it up on the local FreeCycle site to see if anyone would like it for soup or beans. You wouldn't believe how many people wanted it! I had to draw a name from all of them. The lady who got it even posted a picture of the delicious dish she made with it.

Watson
I've been curious as to what the Canadians serve for their Thanksgiving. Your menu sounds yummy. Is that along the lines of tradition? I love that you gave away the ham bone...great story!
Old 11-18-2021, 05:47 AM

Canadian Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas meals are pretty interchangeable. Usually turkey or ham but there are also many regional and/or ethnic dishes. Two that easily come to mind, are tortierre ( a French Canadian meat pie) and holopshi (cabbage rolls). I never had pumpkin pie until I was an adult. Apple, mincemeat, cherry, lemon meringue pies, butter tarts in all their iterations....mmmm my mouth is starting to water.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:07 PM

Make rolls...buy rolls...make rolls...buy rolls...I can't decide. I'd better do it soon because I'm running out of time to make them.