Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
how to make pasties like those in the UP? >

how to make pasties like those in the UP?

how to make pasties like those in the UP?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 AM

Cornish Pasties are made differently in every region. My father and grandfathers were Cornish lead miners in SW Wisconsin. Ours were made with just onions, potatoes and sirloin steak. The steak must have some fatty part or lines in it. Also add small pieces of butter, salt and pepper. My mother drifted away from the pasty form and made them in pies. Large family and saved time. I do know when her father worked in the mines in Galena and Mineral Point, he carried them to work. Hope this helps. I plan on making them today for the weekend. They freeze beautifully.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 AM

Thanks Ladies, our VFW sells them. And this is a reminder to go buy some.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 AM

I was born in the UP and I do have my moms receipe, now I am kind of new around here and don't know if I write the whole receipe on here or someplace special.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pickle
I was born in the UP and I do have my moms receipe, now I am kind of new around here and don't know if I write the whole receipe on here or someplace special.
You can just type your recipe in this thread, Pickle.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM

RE Pasty: I am assuming you know they go in a pie crust. I used to make my own crust but now I buy the one in the cooler section and no one guesses.
Here is my moms recipie

11/2 pound beef cut in small pieces
4 raw potatoes cut or chopped small
2 onions diced\7 carrots diced
1/4 cup bacon fat drippings optional but makes more moist
11/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. pepper
Combine meat and veggies in large bowl mix in seasonings and bacon drippings. Put in crust and bake 375 degree oven for 40 to 50 min.
Some people put in rutabaga and other veggies. I always just make it like above.Oh and some people use a cuisine Art to cut by I like to do mine by hand.

You can make individual ones in one pie crust at a time by putting stuffing on one side and then flip over other side and crimp together. Or I like to make mine in a cake pan like a pot pie which is also delicious if cooking for a group. My mom used to call it a pastie Pie.

I hope you try this and can let me know if you like it. I hope you do. Pickle
Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Pickle-
How many pastys does your recipe make?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Hi I am from the U.P. and my mom makes the best pasties:
Crust: 6 cups flour, 2 Cups Crisco or Shortening. Blend as a pie crust. In a measuring cup blend 1 egg 1 Tablespoon Vinegar add cold water to the 2 cup mark. Mix into the flour and shortening. Mix together. I believe you will get like 12 crust out of this.
The filling is 5# of ground beef 3 large onions chopped and 10# of potatoes peeled and chopped into bite size pieces. Season meat mixture with lawrys seasoning salt and pepper Mix meat mixture and potatoes and onions together and roll crust into plate size crust fill with meat and potatoes and fold over and seal edges. Rutabages are and optional. I perfer without. Beat 1 egg and alittle water together and brush on top of the pasties. Bake at 400 for 50 to 55 Mins. Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Sounds yummy. Can you share the recipe?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 AM

Pasties don't mean that down here.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 AM

I am taking a guess here I haven't made them individual for quite a while, since we are retired folks. I usually just make it as a pasty pie in my square Corning ware fry pan and bake in oven.
I am guessing my original recipe will make about 4 pasties. Once you make them you can judge the amount of veggies to use.
There is another recipe listed here with the pie crust and that is the same as mine. But since I am retired and don't have to make my own crust. I use the refrigerator ones, just being lazy I guess or more time for sewing!!