Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How in the WORLD do I cook a heart???

My MIL would soak it in salted water, then rinse well. She cut it into small pieces (about 3/4") and fried it with onions, salt, pepper and garlic. Made a gravy from the drippings and served it over rice. Was great! I have to say that she could clean out the leftovers from the fridge and come up with a fabulous meal. Much better cook than I could ever be.

That is a favorite of mine. I just slice it thin (about 1/4 in. thick). Salt, pepper and garlic salt it and fry quickly in hot Olive oil. Bet you will like it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! It's in the freezer, and I think we'll wait for cooler weather to cook it. It sounds like it'll be a pretty hearty dish, maybe too heavy for summer.

Jellybeans, I don't think we'll have a problem getting through it, even though it's just the two of us. My boyfriend runs 60-70 miles a week and eats like a horse. I have a heck of a time keeping him fed. :roll:

Blog Entries
    Since my DH used to be a hunter, he would always bring home the heart and liver. I had no idea how to do them but his mom told me to make pickled heart. I soaked it in salt water over night and then rinsed and cut in half. Put in a pan and covered with water, salt and pepper and boiled for about an hour. When it was done, I cut it up into bite size pieces and put it in a mixture of vinegar, water and s & p and let it sit in this mixture for about 2 weeks in frig. Then it was ready to eat. I could never bring myself to eat it but DH and kids loved it!

I had fresh, really fresh beef heart some years ago, we cooked it in a cast iron skillet over our campfire, with sliced onions and a can of beer-----it was SO good!

You can stuff and roast a heart very nicely, with mixed breadcrumb stuffing. First, take out some of the tough sinews from the heart cavity. I save the crusts from all bread, grate and store in a jar in the freezer not to pick up freezer odours. Then for a stuffing add butter, savoury salt and pepper to taste, pack in as much stuffing as you can get in, keep closed with a skewer or sew it shut (no fancy stitches needed here!) and roast at a slightly slower temp than a regular roast of beef. Heart is 'close' meat as my grandfather used to say and can get tough if roasted at too high a heat. A little broth or water in the roasting pan helps too
    Another thing you can do with heart is use it as ground meat - again take out the tough bits then grind in a food processor or old fashioned meat grinder (don't know if you can get them any more, maybe in a thrift shop! Adele Davis a health food author of the last century used to call this recipe half-hearted hamburgers. My kids liked them as much as any other meat patties.
    All the boiling, simmering and stewing recipes listed here would be great. Pot roast with lots of onion carrots, turnip and potatoes is great.
    Heart is a great source of protein, delicious and relatively inexpensive, valued in many cultures. Congrats to you and your boyfriend for being open to new foods, I'm usre you will find this one a real taste treat.

I never had it but my mom said my grandmother would stuff it with a dressing or stuffing & bake in oven. That is all I remember.

While living the farm life, we always butchered and the way i always made it...my favorite...was ro make stuffing as for a chicken etc, and stuff the heart....bake it at 325 for 3-4 hours covered..I use a blue roaster...you can either add a bit of water or dry cook, your preference...now am hungary for one!!! May have to go to butcher shop this week! :D

Banned
    SLICE IT UP AND CUBE IT ROLL IT IN FLOUR AND FRY IT

Banned
    IT IS GOOD THAT WAY TASTED LIKE STAKE

Blog Entries
    Used to pickle it for my ex...just boiled it til done, then sliced it into a regular pickle brine...(you can get a recipe anywhere for that)

Blog Entries
    I usually boil w/vegies like most have already posted. Very tasty IMO

Put it in a pot with water, seasoning, and horseradish, cook until done. Or, I have made dressing and put it down in the dressing and baked it.

My kids claimed they didn't like heart so I use to grind it up. Remove the tough parts , grind it and put it in homemade pasta sauce. Gives it a very strong beefy flavor.

I remember my mom stuffing it with a bread stuffing and roasting it. It actually tasted pretty good and us kids all knew what we were eating and still enjoyed it. We lived on a farm, so none of us were picky eaters. Give it a try and good luck, you may enjoy it.

I made one once long ago, but I forget how I did it. Google beef heart recipes, but I think anything that cooks it slow would be the way to go. It has to be the hardest working muscle in a body, may be tough if not properly cooked. I cooked beef tongue, too also very good. Very rich and beefy tasting sharet

My dmil made "beef hearts and noodles" occasionally. Boiled the heart until tender, then removed sinews and fat, etc., and cut up or pulled apart the meat, put it back into the saved broth and added noodles to the broth to cook until the liquid was absorbed. She in general used onion and garlic for seasoning. It was very good, as was everything she cooked. She also cooked "oxtail stew", which she served over mashed potatoes. My dh loved his mom's cooking but doesn't request these things anymore. Our eating has evolved, I guess.

Heronlady

I slice it and dip in in flour, salt, and pepper and fry it. It is declicous

Quote Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
    I think my bf slices it really thin, flours it, salt, pepper and garlic salts it and then frys it in a pan.
    This is the best in my opinion. Love heart.

if you soak it over night covered in milk or beer it will make it less gamie and very tender. i think you might really like it. i love those things and my Kiowa uncle told me that is how he cooks his. he also cooked them on a outdoor grill. yummy

I always put it in the crockpot all day - with lots of onions, salt and pepper. It doesn't have any fat and will dry out if it was cooked uncovered. The meat is so tender this way.
    Good luck.

Daddy used to boil his for awhile then would slice it and fry it. Yummy!

Blog Entries
    Not my cup of tea but my suggestion is to slice it thin and cook it like you would liver - lots of onions. Good luck.

Trim the grizzley valves on the inside (tough stringy stuff) and the hard fat on the outside. Stuff with bread stuffing like for chicken. Use skewers or string to hold closed. Brown in hot fat and then neslte in more stuffing if desired - but you don't get the world's best gravy if you do that. Add about 1 cup water or broth and bake covered about 4 hours at about 3ooș. Slive and serve with mache dpotatoes, veggies and gravy. Then the next day grind up the leftover heart and mix with hamburger for meatloaf or patties or just make hamburger gravy.
    My kids didn't think much of heart but loved the stuffing and gravy - and the meal next day!
    If you are going to eat part of an animal for food you have a responsibility to use as much of it as possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M.E.H.
    My Mom made bread stuffing, put it around (wraped) the heart with it and baked it. :D
    My mom put the stuffing in the chambers of the heart! I never ate it so can't tell you anymore.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast