Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Macaroni and Cheese

This recipe sounded crazy, to me, until I tried it. This makes a large casserole of mac and cheese. Make the mac and cheese with elbow macaroni, make a medium white sauce and add Valveeta cheese, stir to melt cheese. Add one can
    of SWEETENED evaporated milk, Mix all together, season with salt and pepper. Pour into a large casserole ( **optional
    top with buttered bread crumbs) bake at 350 degrees until bubbly. Very creamy and with a faint sweetness.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

[QUOTE=Gabrielle's Mimi;5174386]This thread made me laugh....reminded me of my childhood. My mother was a terrible cook!...QUOTE]

Your Mom too!? I never thought that I liked chili because Mom would make it with cheap ground beef without draining the fat off after browning. She was from the South and thought that "fat" added flavor to everything. I was quite surprised at how chili was supposed to taste after having it at my best friend's house. I still make the same chili recipe as my friend 45 did years later!

Here's my entry for the BEST Mac and Cheese!
    When I first saw this recipe, I thought there was no way possible it could work.
    The original source was dairygoodness.ca ... and their recipes are always winners.
    So I made it with that knowledge ... and OMG, it was indeed THE easiest and bestest ever!!!!

The BEST Macaroni and Cheese!!

Heat together over medium heat, til steaming
    3 cups water
    1 cup 10% or 18% cream (I use 2% milk and it is fine)

Stir in
    3 cups macaroni (uncooked)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Cover and reduce heat to medium/low.
    Simmer about 8 minutes, stirring often, til macaroni is almost tender.

Whisk together
    2 tbsp. all purpose flour
    1 tsp. dry or Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1-1/2 cups milk
    Stir into pot with macaroni and remaining water/milk.
    Increase heat to medium.
    Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or til sauce thickens.

Remove from heat.
    Stir in til melted
    2 cups shredded old or extra old cheddar cheese

Eat and ENJOY!!!!!!!

**Notes**
    * I use 2% milk for both lots of cream/ milk and it's still delicious
    * If you prefer a crispy topping, put into casserole and bake til crusted.
    * Can be made a day ahead and re-heated in the oven if you wish.
    * Freezes well in single portion sizes or casseroles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I loved the mac and cheese we used to get at the Automats in New York because it was so creamy. Tried many 'Orginal Automat" recipes that called for preparing the mac and cheese and then baking it but that seemed to make its creamy cheese sauce dry up. Finally realized that they probably made it in huge pots, kept it warm, put some into a little oval dish, ran it quickly through the oven before loading it into one of those little window boxes for customers to choose from.

Checked out the recipe someone mentioned from Opah's site, almost 800 calories per serving, WOW!

Here is a link to the recipe Trisha Yearwood shared on her new FoodNetwork show last week:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ipe/index.html

Sounds delicious and southern creamy!
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is Good. (Jan Karon)

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    This is the recipe that I have been using for 40 years. My kids always ask for it on their birthday. I read somewhere that the secret for being a great cook is to add more cheese.

Old-Fashioned Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz. box elbow macaroni
    2 tablespoons finely-chopped onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    teaspoon pepper
    3 cups (or more) grated cheese (okay, I've used 4 cups)
    2 cups Thin White Sauce

Heat oven to 375 degrees - cook macaroni as directed on package - combine macaroni, onion, salt, pepper and cheese in a two-quart ungreased casserole, stir - pour white sauce over casserole - cover - bake 30 minutes with cover - remove cover - bake 15 more minutes.

Thin White Sauce

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    2 tablespoons flour
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoon pepper
    2 cups milk

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat - blend in flour, salt and pepper - cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly - remove from heat - stir in milk - heat to boiling, stirring constantly - boil and stir one minute.
    This is how I make mine too except I don't always bake it as hubby likes it pretty runny so it turns into saucepan macaroni and cheese.

Medium size Crockpot - easy! Spray crockpot. Turn on High. Melt 1/2 stick butter in it. Add 1 qt. milk. Add 2 cups dry macaroni. Add 8 -10 ounces cheese. Stir well. Turn to Low. I let mine cook an hour or so and stir. Mine is usually done in about an hour and 15 minutes, depending on crockpot. There's just the 2 of us, so I freeze a couple of qt. baggies of it.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the recipe

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    This is the recipe that I have been using for 40 years. My kids always ask for it on their birthday. I read somewhere that the secret for being a great cook is to add more cheese.

Old-Fashioned Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz. box elbow macaroni
    2 tablespoons finely-chopped onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    teaspoon pepper
    3 cups (or more) grated cheese (okay, I've used 4 cups)
    2 cups Thin White Sauce

Heat oven to 375 degrees - cook macaroni as directed on package - combine macaroni, onion, salt, pepper and cheese in a two-quart ungreased casserole, stir - pour white sauce over casserole - cover - bake 30 minutes with cover - remove cover - bake 15 more minutes.

Thin White Sauce

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    2 tablespoons flour
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoon pepper
    2 cups milk

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat - blend in flour, salt and pepper - cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly - remove from heat - stir in milk - heat to boiling, stirring constantly - boil and stir one minute.
    ♥ Craftybear♥ Google Goddess Surfing Queen of Links ♥
    http://quiltingforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://quiltinglibraryworldwide.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2