Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Measuring baking pans - >

Measuring baking pans -

Measuring baking pans -

Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Pan type can change how a food is baked too. Stoneware, stainless, glass, aluminum, cast iron, ceramic, non stick, all bake differently at the same temperature. Also you have to factor in the type of ban. Angel food pans are different then a bundt pan for a reason. One thing I learned in a baking class. Pure cane sugar will give better volume and texture then the beet sugars. It's worth the extra pennies to buy the pure cane sugar when baking.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:48 AM

I have been baking long enough to be able to eye the batter and know which pan to use.

I can also easily switch from a cake tin, to a muffin tin, to a loaf pan and just adjust the baking time.

Banana bread is a good example. My kids prefer it baked in muffin cups, Dad has jumbo muffin tins, so I only make 6 instead of 12. The same batter makes one loaf, 12 regular muffins or 6 jumbo ones. I have also bakes it in a cake tin at times.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
I have been baking long enough to be able to eye the batter and know which pan to use.

I can also easily switch from a cake tin, to a muffin tin, to a loaf pan and just adjust the baking time.

Banana bread is a good example. My kids prefer it baked in muffin cups, Dad has jumbo muffin tins, so I only make 6 instead of 12. The same batter makes one loaf, 12 regular muffins or 6 jumbo ones. I have also bakes it in a cake tin at times.
All learned by experience.

It's helpful to me to at least have a "starting point" on a recipe - such as 9 x 13 glass pan - 325 degree F. oven - approximately 40 minutes baking time

instead of "bake until done"