Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Meat Broth >

Meat Broth

Meat Broth

Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
No need to skim off the fat. Fat is good for you; your brain needs fat.
I simmered left over chicken bones for about two days, and the bones got so tender I could crush them with my fingers. I put all this into the blender and had some wonderful broth. Then I cooked one cup of brown rice with three cups of the broth. Delicious.
Fat is actually a benefit to us, unless it is vegetable fat that has been made into margarine. Margarine is made from unnaturally chemically treated plants and coloring to be “just like butter”. All of those oils either come from corn, which if you eat enough to consume 1 tablespoonful of corn oil, your body will make you puke to prevent overdose from being too full, or non food plants that are chemically treated to look edible. That is over half the reason for the weight crisis in this country. None of it is nourishing food. I stopped eating it, even in restaurants over 14 years ago and I am still loosing weight with out any diet. I have lost over 200 lbs in that time. It really is that toxic to humans. I still bless the little old lady (whose grand daughter was the governor of Georgia at the time) who told me about all the controversy when margarine was invented. Dairy farmers actually went to court to try and stop its packaging for humans. Margarine was originally developed to fatten hogs for market, except it killed the hogs, so they sell it to us! Please take the time to look it up.
Also, be aware that All restaurants use it because it is so cheap. Most of them have a “cutsie” name like “Goldo”. Yech, and your welcome.

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM

I understand even lard has a component in it good for humans. Like the old saying says “all things in moderation”. We avoid anything with “high fructose corn syrup”.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I drain the broth from the bones and send the bones to the dog
Oh My, My vet told me never to give dogs chicken bones. Never.

Dogs should never be allowed to eat cooked Chicken Bones. Never feed them, and never let them loose in areas where people may have been eating Cooked Chicken.
Cooked Chicken Bones become very brittle. They will splinter easily and can break in to very sharp shards. If your Dogs ate Cooked Chicken Bones there is risk of it getting a splinter of Bone stuck in its Mouth, its Throat or in its Intestine. The Bones can pierce Intestines or form a hard blockage that can be life threatening.
This is not to say that this will occur, the majority of times you may have nothing to worry about but there is a risk. I am not saying you MUST go to the Vets but it is a real cause for concern and if you have the slightest worry I would recommend you get your Dog checked at the Vets. More about dogs and bones here: http://thethreedogblog.com/dogs-eati...nd-fables.html
Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 PM

There are some good stock recipes on line.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM

I too have always been told that chicken bones are dangerous for dogs. You can look up yourself or ask vet.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Yummy, yummy. I love bone broth made well and I know it's made well, when it jell's up when cool. Lots of nutrition and flavor. Makes the best soups
Old 01-17-2019, 04:24 PM

Made brown rice with duck broth I had in the freezer. Added whole carrots. Delicious.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Oh My, My vet told me never to give dogs chicken bones. Never.

Dogs should never be allowed to eat cooked Chicken Bones. Never feed them, and never let them loose in areas where people may have been eating Cooked Chicken.
Cooked Chicken Bones become very brittle. They will splinter easily and can break in to very sharp shards. If your Dogs ate Cooked Chicken Bones there is risk of it getting a splinter of Bone stuck in its Mouth, its Throat or in its Intestine. The Bones can pierce Intestines or form a hard blockage that can be life threatening.
This is not to say that this will occur, the majority of times you may have nothing to worry about but there is a risk. I am not saying you MUST go to the Vets but it is a real cause for concern and if you have the slightest worry I would recommend you get your Dog checked at the Vets. More about dogs and bones here: http://thethreedogblog.com/dogs-eati...nd-fables.html
I don’t doubt what you say, but thinking back to our farm dogs (each who lived long lives). They ate every table scrap Mother gave them, chicken bones included. We raised our own chickens so we had chicken often. Just an observation.