Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Meatloaf recipe >

Meatloaf recipe

Meatloaf recipe

Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 AM

I just made meatloaf yesterday and can't wait for lunch for a sandwich! We use 1 1/2 # 90% ground beef and same amount of ground turkey (Jennyo) mix with 1/4 cup ketchup 1 cup milk 3/4 cup crumbs 2 T worchestershire salt and pepper and I throw in dried minced onions.Hubby likes to mix it....and I mean mix it! We use crockpot bag and put in a layer of frozen potatoes.Then top with the meatloaf not letting sides touch sides of crockpot and cook all day. Do have to say this is firm and somewhat dry to some peoples taste but it holds together so well.I use any frozen potato we want to get rid of like tater tots crinkly french fries ,nothing to small like hash browns. Suppose if you didn't want the potatoes you could just put it on balls of foil to keep it out of the drippings.Recipe says you can use any meatloaf recipe and cook it this way. Sorry didn't mean to write a book here! Dee
Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 AM

I make "Ann Lander's" meat loaf. She uses lots of brand name ingredients, but it turns out very well, and tastes great. We have it in both our church cookbooks.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 AM

Here's my "Southern recipe" and everyone seems to love it... We have friends coming for a visit from Texas and one of their requests is for me to make my meatloaf! I can't tell you exactly how much of each ingredient, I just eye it, but I generally go heavy on the onion and bell pepper because we like it that way.
Ground beef (prefer 85% to 94% lean)
1 Egg, beaten
Cracker crumbs (I crumble up my own), or bread crumbs (I crumble up my own) or dry oatmeal
Bell Pepper, chopped
Onion, chopped
Pepper (with crackers, the salt is not necessary)
Worchestershire Sauce (several big squirts of it)
1/2 to 3/4 of an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
Ketchup (for the top)

Mix everything up but the ketchup. Place in a pam sprayed 9x13 pan. Cover with remainder of the tomato sauce mixed with a heavy layer of ketchup. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:12 AM

Found the Ann Lander's meat loaf recipe. The one I have calls for Hunt's tomato sauce. This recipe was printed in our church cookbook in 1978, and again in another book in 2004.
Total Time
1hr 15mins
Prep 15 mins Cook 1 hr
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.jpg[/IMG] Original recipe calls for 8 oz. tomato sauce instead of chili sauce over the top. If you don't like sauce on top of your meatloaf, then leave it off. This is an old recipe, written long before MSG (Accent) was determined to be evil. Use at your own risk.
Ingredients:
Servings 6 Units US
  • 2 lbs ground round
  • 1 [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2[/SUB] cups breadcrumbs
  • 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning
  • 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
  • 3 slices bacon
  • 2 eggs
  • [SUP]3[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] cup catsup
  • chili sauce (or 8 oz. tomato sauce) (optional)
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients together except bacon and chili sauce.
  2. Put in loaf pan.
  3. Cover with bacon strips.
  4. Pour chili sauce over top.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM

At one of our favorite Sunday places to eat as its the only place open on Sundays, they have a special month sandwich called "Bacon Blue". Its a hamburger cooked to your preference, then topped with sliced of cooked bacon and then topped with what looks to be blue cheese salad dressing. Its out of this world and I'm not a lover of blue cheese but I do like it from time to time. My next meatloaf I'm going to try this for the topping. As to what I usually put into my meatloaf as I don't really care for hamburger at all, I find adding worstershire sauce helps give it some zing. I also add whatever is in my spice cabinet........basil, parsley, salt/pepper, an egg and maybe bread crumbs if I have any available. If not I'll open up an older box of stuffing mix.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:25 AM

This is going to sound like a lot of ingredients, but most you surely have on hand. I get rave reviews on this every time I serve it. 2 lbs burger (I use 1 lb. beef and 1 lb. deer, but 2 pounds beef will work). 1 small onion, chopped, 1 green pepper, finely chopped, 1 jalapeno pepper chopped, 1/3 cup pickle relish, 1/2 cup salsa, 8-10 saltine crackers, crushed, 2 eggs 1/2 cup milk, 1 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, 2 T. spicy mustard, 1 T. worcestershire, For top: 1 cup catsup 6-8 slices of bacon cut in half. Mix all ingredients except the last 2. Put into a large loaf pan......or I just shape and put in a 9 X 13 pan with room around the edges. Make an indention in the top, put the 1 cup of catsup and lay strips of bacon on top of the indention. Cover and bake 1 hour 15 minutes, uncover and bake 20-30 more minutes. Drain. Let set 10 minutes and serve. You can use canned or fresh jalapenos. The pickle relish is a secret passed to me by a friend.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM

Here is my meat loaf recipe which is from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook of about 50 yrs. ago;
1# ground beef
1/2#sausage
1 egg
1 c. milk 2 slices bread, toasted twice, then crumbled for crumbs
1 t. sat
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. sage
Ketchup on top

Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Combine meat and work well with your hands to have it mixed. Add dry ingredient,and mix.
Combine milk, egg, bread crumbs then combine with dry ingredients. Put in loaf pan or square pan. Flatten, and put Ketchup on top, smooth with knife. Poke holes in meat loaf so ketchup flavors meat. Bake 350--30-45 min.

Enjoy!! Mariah
Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 PM

I use Paula Deen's basic meatloaf mixture also. It's the one we like best.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM

time2quilt I guess you are using dill pickle relish?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Years ago (1993) we ate at 'The Machine Shed" in Des Moines, IA The chef gave me the meat loaf recipe (was for 100). Just cut it in 4 for home use.
l lb ground beef
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup milk
1 small onion
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt (I use pink Himalayan Rock Salt - good for you)
1/2 tsp white pepper (I use white as I am allergic to black pepper)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Mix ingredients well
bake in 350 oven til internal temp is 160

We love this they also gave me the cole slaw recipe