Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need Good Southern Biscuit Recipe >

Need Good Southern Biscuit Recipe

Need Good Southern Biscuit Recipe

Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
CRH

Thanks, will have to get the mix, do not have that on hand.

Is there a recipe for the actual bisquick mix?? Is that what you mean??
Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 PM

CRH: Well, here it is finally!

Just Like KFC Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup club soda
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups Bisquick Biscuit Mix

Cooking Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine all of the ingredients, knead the dough by hand until the dough holds together; do not over knead. Flour your hands. Pat the dough flat to 3/4-inch thickness; cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Bake on a greased baking sheet for 13 minutes, or until golden brown, when they come out of the oven brush with melted butter. Makes 18 Biscuits.

**Pls note: This is the one that comes closest to the KFC recipe. The recipe did call for 1 tsp. salt, but I reduced it to 1/2 tsp. so you can use your best judgment there. I think the oven time should be 10-12 min. so keep an eye on them from 10 min. on. Actually, the sides of the biscuits should be touching for best results. And I think only 4-1/2 c. of Bisquick is needed. If you want the very best taste, I would suggest using lard instead of the butter because lard is what is key in making a great biscuit! Also, if you don't have buttermilk on hand, I would just use the lemon juice or vinegar trick as a substitute. One tb. per cup is best. Simply put 1 tb. of vinegar in a measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup line with milk and wait til it clabbers after a few minutes and you'll have buttermilk.

Some people don't like the bottoms getting too brown either when baking biscuits so some will use cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Also, keep in mind that the less handling of the dough means you'll have a nicer biscuit. More handling of the dough means a tougher biscuit. This biscuit compares to KFC in texture and not necessarily size although it comes closest. I found another one I'll include also and here is the coleslaw recipe for those of you who would like it.

Just Like KFC Coleslaw

4 1/2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
6 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
2 1/2 cups Miracle Whip
1 cup sugar
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 heads cabbage, finely chopped

1. In bowl, combine oil, onions and sugar; add tarragon vinegar; fold in mayonnaise.
2. In large bowl, combine carrots and cabbage, mix well.
3. Pour dressing over cabbage mix; stir well to combine.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Serves 8

Hope you and everyone else enjoys these recipes and have fun making your biscuits! enjoy! n2. :D :D
Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by CRH
Thanks, will have to get the mix, do not have that on hand.

Is there a recipe for the actual bisquick mix?? Is that what you mean??
Yes, I have the recipe to make your own Bisquick! Would you like it? It sure is cheaper to make it yourself and handier!

Instead of buying Bisquick baking mix, make your own at home with a few simple ingredients.
Prep Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

8 cups all-purpose flour (or 4 cups each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour)
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups dry nonfat milk
2 cups shortening
Preparation:

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar, baking soda, nonfat milk, and shortening together in large bowl (if you have a large mixer it is ideal to use for blending this mix but it can also be done quite adequately using a pastry blender to cut in shortening). Add shortening about a half cup at a time mixing well after each addition. Mixture will be mealy when mixed adequately.

Put in air-tight container and store either in refrigerator or at room temperature. Use within about 3 months.

You can always halve the recipe! Here are some uses for it:

Usage

For Biscuits:
Mix 2 cups of Baking Mix with 1/2 cup water. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes.

For Muffins:
Mix 2 cups of Baking Mix with 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 beaten egg and 2/3 cup milk. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.

For Pancakes:
Mix 2 cups of baking mix with 1 beaten egg and 1-1/3 cup milk.

For Waffles:
Mix 2 cups of Baking Mix with 1 beaten egg, 2 Tablespoons oil, and 1-1/3 cup milk.

Notes:
You can use this mix to make biscuits, dumplings, muffins, coffee cake, pancakes and waffles. It can also be used as an ingredient in casseroles and desserts.

Yield: about 12 cups of mix!!

Well, sure hope you try making your own Bisquick Mix! Let me know how your biscuits turn out!!! :D
Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 PM

CRH: I want to include the other biscuit recipe. I haven't tried this one I know because I don't use lard as this recipe calls for it but it is also a close copy of KFC's biscuits. Here's the recipe:

Just Like KFC Buttermilk Biscuits #2

Serves: 6
Ready In: Under 30 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tbs baking powder
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tbs lard

Directions:

Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Cut in the lard with a pastry cutter or with two knives until a coarse texture is obtained.
Add buttermilk and knead gently but thoroughly.
The dough should be soft but not sticky: if it is, add a little more flour.
Knead for 1 minute, wrap in foil or wax paper and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and cut with a biscuit cutter. (If you don’t have one, a cup with the desired diameter will work.)
Transfer biscuits to a dark baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.

**Pls note: I reduced the salt on this one too as 1 tsp. is way too much. Also, here is a pic:

KFC on left; this recipe on rt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31108[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-31108.jpe  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 PM
CRH

Thank-you for the recipes. I will be "out of commission" for a while due to knee surgery, but copied your recipes to try when I am cooking again.

The coleslaw recipe will be fun to try, too. We always like it. Didn't know tarragon vinegar was the "secret" ingredient!!

Thanks Lots!!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by CRH
Thank-you for the recipes. I will be "out of commission" for a while due to knee surgery, but copied your recipes to try when I am cooking again.

The coleslaw recipe will be fun to try, too. We always like it. Didn't know tarragon vinegar was the "secret" ingredient!!

Thanks Lots!!!!!
Your welcome! I have found the secrets to lots of the restaurants' recipes! They are just like us! They use lots of prepackaged items in their recipes; i.e., things that are already put together because it's easier, quicker, cheaper and those items are already a hit so that's why they include them!! And that's their key! We do the same thing with our recipes by using boxed cake mixes, cool whips, etc. Hope your surgery is smooth and your healing is quick and you're back to cooking/quilting in no time!! n2.

:D :D
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM

mmmm im going to your house for diner sounds really good i love cole slawand buttermilk biscutes sound great
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 PM

my son use to work for kfc i will have to ask him about it i really like there food
Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by enjoylife950
mmmm im going to your house for diner sounds really good i love cole slawand buttermilk biscutes sound great
Come on over y'all! We'll cook all night! Sure wish I could fix a plate and lay it right here on this page for everyone to take what they wanted!! Maybe the picture is the next best thing! Enjoy the picture y'all! Someone said that recipe is better than the texture of KFC's even though they are not as big, we know how to make 'em big, huh? I used to sell my goodies at work and everyone bought them up!! I miss fixing for a crowd :-( . You be the judge of the recipes; let me know how they measure up. :-D
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM
CRH

n2scraplvr wrote:

Hope your surgery is smooth and your healing is quick and you're back to cooking/quilting in no time!! n2.

Thanks!! Sounds like we both love both!!