Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need a lime jello recipe >

Need a lime jello recipe

Need a lime jello recipe

Old 12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I have never made it for any holiday but I like this one,

Make up lime or lemon jello, put it in the fridge until it is almost set, mix in about the same amount of Mayo, a little lemon juice and a bunch of slices cucumbers.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

it is awesome, and it saves trying to get the fruit or veg to gel in the right place, my mom does a fruit cocktail on that you use the juice to make the jello and just put in the fruit from the can, and it usually floats, you have to add it or stir it just at the right time for it to be all the way through, I am not sure why but the cucumber and the jello go together really well,
Old 12-28-2009, 03:34 AM

The only time I cannot listen to a book is when I am reading directions, so I just put it on pause. I can't wait to get my new quilting station put together so I can get back to work here. I want to finish up the "Floating Stars" for our quilt and then I want to work on the cancer quilt, but this time, instead of using my own colors from my stash, I would like to have all the blocks in the same colors, but the patterns different. Gotta figure out how much fabric I need because the group that is sponsoring this is paying for the fabric, batting, backing and quilting. So, I will sit at my little station here and figure away, without the audiobooks on. Have you listened to the Jennifer Chiaverini stories? I am going to try to send you a private message. Edie
Old 12-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew4fun
Originally Posted by wvdek
My mom alway's made lime jell-o (double batch), added crushed drained pineapple and minced carrots. I will be making it for tomorrows dinner. Just doesn't seem like Christmas w/o it.
Some folks put a dab of mayo on top.

Also, when I was sick she would make vanilla pudding in small bowls and then after it was set, she would add on top black cherry jell-o. Refridgerate until set and serve.
I still like this when I am sick.

Try making your cranberry relish dish with black cherry instead of strawberry or raspberry jell-o. Really good.
That's the way my Mom made lime jello w/ pineapple and carrots and the dab of mayo on top. It was yummy. But must admit I have never fixed it. Mom always tried to fix different things so meals did not become so monotonous.

My Mom always used orange jello for this. We LOVED it.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:48 AM

I had an aunt, actually I was named after her, who loved to dress up salads. Here is the one I remember - a small plate with a few pieces of lettuce, a slice of pineapple, 1/2 banana to stand inside the slice of pineapple hole (get the picture?) and a little slice of maraschino cherry on top of the banana, sort of wedged in the top to look like a candle with a flame! Well, when you are young, it is really cool!

One of my favorites to this day is another one of hers; a few slices of lettuce on the plate, a half of a canned peach, a dollop of cottage cheese and French dressing sprinkled over the top!

I also like any flavor of Jell-O, mixed with 1C boiling water,1/4C sugar, 1/4C cold water or fruit juice. Mix it up, let it set and then add 1C of whipped cream (or you can use one packet of Dream Whip mixed up). Very pretty, very light for a hot day. I served it with Lime Jell-O for our son's graduation 1,000 years ago. I tripled the recipe and it all went. IT is called Basic Bavarian!

You want salad and Jell-O recipes, as a Minnesotan! I have a book called "Joys of Jell-O". Have had it for many, many years and still use it. It is dog-eared, messed up, stained, but a tried and true recipe book. If you need any, please let me know. There are even vegetable salad recipes.

Edie
Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by erhausfrau
I had an aunt, actually I was named after her, who loved to dress up salads. Here is the one I remember - a small plate with a few pieces of lettuce, a slice of pineapple, 1/2 banana to stand inside the slice of pineapple hole (get the picture?) and a little slice of maraschino cherry on top of the banana, sort of wedged in the top to look like a candle with a flame! Well, when you are young, it is really cool!

One of my favorites to this day is another one of hers; a few slices of lettuce on the plate, a half of a canned peach, a dollop of cottage cheese and French dressing sprinkled over the top!

I also like any flavor of Jell-O, mixed with 1C boiling water,1/4C sugar, 1/4C cold water or fruit juice. Mix it up, let it set and then add 1C of whipped cream (or you can use one packet of Dream Whip mixed up). Very pretty, very light for a hot day. I served it with Lime Jell-O for our son's graduation 1,000 years ago. I tripled the recipe and it all went. IT is called Basic Bavarian!

You want salad and Jell-O recipes, as a Minnesotan! I have a book called "Joys of Jell-O". Have had it for many, many years and still use it. It is dog-eared, messed up, stained, but a tried and true recipe book. If you need any, please let me know. There are even vegetable salad recipes.

Edie
Does your "Joys of Jell-O" book happen to have a recipe that uses sauerkraut as one of the ingredients, Edie? There was a jello salad that my grandmother used to make that seemed so bizarre to me when I was young... she claimed it was good and it was good for you and that it was on her "diet"... she seemed to be forever on a weight loss mission... wow, can I evermore relate to that now! If you find it and would be so kind to share, I'll try it and let you know how it turns out. Your efforts will be appreciated...I'm all ready thankful to you for your post that provided me another opportunity to remember another bit of what made my grandmother so special.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:52 PM

Hi Edie,
This is sthe Bag Lady from Ohio. I also belong to the Lutheran Church. What synod are you in ---ELCA or Missouri. I am ELCA
Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM

Hi Edie,
This is sthe Bag Lady from Ohio. I also belong to the Lutheran Church. What synod are you in ---ELCA or Missouri. I am ELCA.

My brother-in-law just retired from Zion Lutheran church in Appleton Wisconsin. He was pstor there for 10+ yrs.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
Hi Edie,
This is sthe Bag Lady from Ohio. I also belong to the Lutheran Church. What synod are you in ---ELCA or Missouri. I am ELCA.

My brother-in-law just retired from Zion Lutheran church in Appleton Wisconsin. He was pstor there for 10+ yrs.
AS we call us, we are Misery Cyanide!!!! I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran through and through!!!!! Edie
Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM

I didn't know that is what you are called :-P . Are you Swedish by any chance. I am half German and half Swedish.

How far are you from the Wisc. border.