Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need a lime jello recipe >

Need a lime jello recipe

Need a lime jello recipe

Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 AM

I am still looking for that great jello salad recipe that you have every holiday on your table.
Can be lime, or strawberry or whatever...
I sure would appreciate it!
Kirsten
Old 12-24-2009, 08:26 AM

My mom alway's made lime jell-o (double batch), added crushed drained pineapple and minced carrots. I will be making it for tomorrows dinner. Just doesn't seem like Christmas w/o it.
Some folks put a dab of mayo on top.

Also, when I was sick she would make vanilla pudding in small bowls and then after it was set, she would add on top black cherry jell-o. Refridgerate until set and serve.
I still like this when I am sick.

Try making your cranberry relish dish with black cherry instead of strawberry or raspberry jell-o. Really good.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Banned

those sound good. never had them :-(
Old 12-25-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
My mom alway's made lime jell-o (double batch), added crushed drained pineapple and minced carrots. I will be making it for tomorrows dinner. Just doesn't seem like Christmas w/o it.
Some folks put a dab of mayo on top.

Also, when I was sick she would make vanilla pudding in small bowls and then after it was set, she would add on top black cherry jell-o. Refridgerate until set and serve.
I still like this when I am sick.

Try making your cranberry relish dish with black cherry instead of strawberry or raspberry jell-o. Really good.
That's the way my Mom made lime jello w/ pineapple and carrots and the dab of mayo on top. It was yummy. But must admit I have never fixed it. Mom always tried to fix different things so meals did not become so monotonous.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 AM

My favorite recipe is (Diet) Beet Salad. I take this to many potlucks where I am always asked for the recipe and have at the Holidays as well.

Diet Beet Salad
1- 15 ounce can shoestring beets
1- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple in its own juice
2 small pkgs. sugar free raspberry gelatin
8 large lettuce leaves (butter lettuce is good)

Drain beets and pineapple reserving the juices. Measure juices together and add enough hot water to make 3 cups. Combine juice/water mixture with gelatin in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then cool slightly. Add pineapple and beets: mix well. Pour into an 11" x 7" cake pan. Refrigerate. Cut into 8 pieces. Serve on Lettuce.

Servings 8: Cal. 68, Cal from fat 0; Total fat 0, Sodium 170 mg (7%), Total carb. 16g (7%); Dietary fiber 2 g (10%) Sugars 13 g. Protein 2 g.

Note: Regular gelatin can be used if you are not concerned about the extra sugar and a dollop of mayonnaise, for garnish, can be added as well.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 AM

Never would have thought of combining beets and pineapple. Sounds good to me!
Old 12-26-2009, 01:07 PM

1 pkg lime jello
1 pkg lemon jello
Fix as directed on box in a 9 x 13 dish. Refrig until just gelling. Take out of frig.
Add
1 C cottage cheese
1 C sour cream (or to taste)
1 C mayo (or to taste)
1 small can crushed pineapple minus juice (you can use the juice with the cold water when making the jello)
walnuts
Mix all together, smooth out and refrigerate a few hours or until completely set.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:30 AM

Never heard if Mayo with the jello...
But all of these sound so good...
Thanks,
Now, which to try first...
Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 AM

This recipe is from the Great State of Minnesota where Jell-O and hot dishes are the main at the Lutheran church pot luck dinners. This is my very best favorite. The grandkids love it. Because it is green they call it Leprechaun Poop.

Mix together:
1 pkg (small) Lime Jello
1C hot water
1 - 4oz pkg softened cream cheese
Add a small can of crushed pineapple with the juice, 2 grated carrot and 2 stalks of grated celery (remove the "threads" first - makes it easier to grate).

When partially jelled, add 1/2C whipping cream whipped

Happy 2010

Edie
Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 PM

No, Ma'am, but I am one of them Scandinavian Lutherans with the blonde hair and blue eyes (well, eyes are blue, shades of grey hair - lots of shades) who cooks hot dishes, and jello salads. As a matter of fact, a few days ago my sister and I were talking about when Jello had a vegetable Jello. It was good. Instead of putting in sugar, you put in some vinegar and instead of fruit, you put in carrots, radishes, celery. It was really good!

I do like Garrison Keillor though! HAve several of his CD's. He talks just like us Minnesotans. I didn't realize we had a way of speaking or an accent until Garrison Keillor showed that we did! If you want to read some good books, try out the collection of Joanne Fluke mysteries. The stories take place in Minnesota and some of the stuff is so true. They are humorous mystery stories. I prefer the audiobooks. But whatever rows your boat.

Ya Shure, you betcha! Edie