Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need a lime jello recipe >

Need a lime jello recipe

Need a lime jello recipe

Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Hi all! New to the board, and happened across this topic. I have quite a few Jello salad/dessert recipes, if you are still interested. Unfortunately, it is now after the holidays when they could have been used!
Growing up, our main 'jello salad' was lime or orange jello, with drained crushed pineapple (if we had it in the pantry), shredded cabbage and carrot. Simple enough, but good for some odd reason.
Then my ex MIL handed down lots of Jello salads that she took to church suppers and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - who knew you could put cream cheese, cool whip, puddings, and such in Jello???? LOL
Some of them are sweet enough to use as desserts, so we could never decide whether they were to go on the salad table or the dessert table, but we never brought any home! And a family reunion or get together wasn't complete without at least 2 of them somewhere in a big bowl.
If anyone is still interested, please let me know, I'll be glad to post some recipes for you.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 PM

My sister would always make finger jello and when she would put it in a bowl it look so pretty and it was delicious. And the kids just loved it.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Kathy, would love to see some of your family recipes!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, have been down with the bug a couple of days and haven't gotten much accomplished! Hope you like these, they are not like the recipes to use in the Jello molds, although I do have some of those in the back of the recipe box somewhere...
Clear glass dishes always look nice, as you can see the layers. If you like these, I have more I can post: some for cranberry, apricot, etc.

This is my sons' favorite:

Blueberry Salad
2 pkg. (3oz) raspberry jello
2 c. boiling water
1 lg. can crushed pineapple, do not drain
1 can blueberry pie filling
-Dissolve jello in boiling water, cool slightly. Stir in pineapple w/juice and pie filling. Pour into 13X9 pan or large dish. Chill until set.

Topping:
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sour cream
Beat all ingredients together until well blended, spread over jello mixture. Chill to serve.

And for Valentine's Day, another favorite:

Cherry Surprise Salad
1 pkg (3 oz) raspberry jello
1 c. boiling water
1 can cherry pie filling
-Dissolve jello into boiling water, cool slightly. Stir in pie filling. Pour into 1 qt serving dish. Chill to set.

Topping:
1 pkg. (3 oz) lemon jello
1 c. boiling water
1 pkg. (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. real mayo (not Miracle Whip)
1 c. crushed pineapple (or small can w/juice, do not drain)
1 c. mini marshmallows
1 small tub Cool Whip
-Dissolve jello into boiling water, set aside. Beat cream cheese and mayo together, slowly add jello to blend, then add pineapple. Fold Cool Whip into jello mixture, then add marshmallows. Spread over cherry layer, chill to serve.

This one is a regular that is always on the table for big dinners:

3 Layer Salad

(1st layer)
1 - 6oz box lime Jello
2 c. boiling water
1 1/2 c. cold water
1 c. crushed pineapple, drained, reserve juice
1 c. chopped nuts (she used pecans)
-Dissolve jello into boiling water, stir in cold water, chill until just slightly set (like egg white consistency), then add in pineapple and nuts. Pour into large bowl or 13X9 dish. Chill until almost set.

(2nd layer)
1 pkg. Dream Whip, prepared as directed on pkg (can substitute small tub of Cool Whip, also)
1 - 3oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
-Beat cream cheese until smooth, then beat in the Dream Whip/Cool Whip. Spread over 1st layer. Chill to completely set.

(3rd layer)
1 c. reserved pineapple juice (or water added to juice to make 1 c.)
1 c. sugar
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 eggs, well beaten
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
-Stir sugar and flour together, then add to juice, eggs and lemon juice. Cook over medium-low heat until it boils and thickens. Cool to room temperature, and spread over 2nd layer. Chill to serve.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Kathy,
what part of Ohio are you from?
I am from Dayton/Centerville.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 AM

We live in Marietta, about 3 1/2 hrs due east of Cincinnati, on the OH/WV border along the river. I'm originally from IN, just moved here 2 yrs ago. Now a 'city girl'... LOL
Old 01-16-2010, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
My mom alway's made lime jell-o (double batch), added crushed drained pineapple and minced carrots. I will be making it for tomorrows dinner. Just doesn't seem like Christmas w/o it.
Some folks put a dab of mayo on top.

Also, when I was sick she would make vanilla pudding in small bowls and then after it was set, she would add on top black cherry jell-o. Refridgerate until set and serve.
I still like this when I am sick.

Try making your cranberry relish dish with black cherry instead of strawberry or raspberry jell-o. Really good.
My mom made this too.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
Originally Posted by wvdek
My mom alway's made lime jell-o (double batch), added crushed drained pineapple and minced carrots. I will be making it for tomorrows dinner. Just doesn't seem like Christmas w/o it.
Some folks put a dab of mayo on top.

Also, when I was sick she would make vanilla pudding in small bowls and then after it was set, she would add on top black cherry jell-o. Refridgerate until set and serve.
I still like this when I am sick.

Try making your cranberry relish dish with black cherry instead of strawberry or raspberry jell-o. Really good.
My mom made this too.
The lime/pineapple is delicious - and I add grated celery to it also, but I (thanks to Emeril) slice off the veins first! This is mine - 1 small pkg lime Jello, 1C hot water, 1-4oz pkg cream cheese, softened, mix together. Add small can of crushed pineapple (8-1/4 oz), plus juice, 2 grated carrots, 2 stalks of grated celery. When Jello has partially gelled, add 1/2whipping cream whipped. Oh, is that good! Edie
Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 AM

Kathy,
I have been through Marietta many times. when my mother was alive, I used to take her to see her sister in Salem, WVA. When the weather was nice I would take her down Rt. 50. I love WVA---it is one of my very favorites states to drive through. Do you ever go to Parkersburg to shop?

I went through the glass plant across the river from Marietta---I forget now what company it is but it was fun.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Yes, hubby works in Parkersburg, and I usually go shopping there once a week, sometimes more in the summer/fall when it's nicer outside. Nice to sit by the river in Belpre, also, and have lunch.
Fenton Glass is the place you're speaking of. When we were dating, that was one of the first places he took me to here, as I love old glass.
Did you know there is a marble factory close here? If you've ever seen the TV show "Dirty Jobs", where the guy goes to factories, farms, mines, etc, to do a job thats really down and dirty for a day, they did a show on each place a couple of months ago. The marble factory is just a few miles from Marietta, and Fenton is just across the bridge in Williamstown. Lots of things to see here, find something new constantly!
We went to Blackwater for our honeymoon and traveled the backroads thru the state to get there... my, what windy, curvy roads!!! LOL But beautiful to see. We came back on the highway past the Gorge. It was breathtaking, people very friendly. We plan on taking another trip back there for our anniversary.