Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Niffles????

Blog Entries

Niffles????

Has anyone made 'niffles'? It is passed down from my husbands German family and we love them. It's a type of noodle- pasta that you use a grater like contraption, slide it back and forth over boiling water.
    My question is, we would like to make them the day before and take them for Christmas. But, has anyone re-warmed something like this? I'm wondering if I should once again bring water to a boil and drop them in again (even tho they are cooked) or microwave them. Either way, I'm afraid of them becoming tough.

I would go to a food forum and ask. Taste of Home, King Arthur Flour, and Betty Crocker has big forums.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    sounds like what I would call spaetzle
    http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3128-Sp.../dp/B00004UE89
    if you google 'make ahead spaetzle' there are many hits, here's a quote from one:
    Drain the Spätzle again and toss with a little oil or melted butter to keep them from sticking. Spätzle will keep in the fridge for at least a couple of days and then heated to serve. Melt some butter in a pan and toss the Spätzle in it to warm through.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Sorry, never heard of it.
    When I make some pasta type thing I mix the sauce with the pasta and warm it like that, as with spaghetti.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Never heard of this either.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    Has anyone made 'niffles'? It is passed down from my husbands German family and we love them. It's a type of noodle- pasta that you use a grater like contraption, slide it back and forth over boiling water.
    My question is, we would like to make them the day before and take them for Christmas. But, has anyone re-warmed something like this? I'm wondering if I should once again bring water to a boil and drop them in again (even tho they are cooked) or microwave them. Either way, I'm afraid of them becoming tough.
    my best bud makes them, but she calls them something else. Equally a stilly sounding. I'll have to ask. Ribblies maybe?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Had some along time ago. Client of mine made some when she had dinner for us. Yep she made a noodle dough an took small portions and ran it over the great. She had salted the water and when finished and drained, she toss butter and a little more salt. She was German descent also. I remember it was so good.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I was trying to think what my client called them also and it was ribbles.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    my best bud makes them, but she calls them something else. Equally a stilly sounding. I'll have to ask. Ribblies maybe?

When we were in Germany 30-40 years ago, this is what they called spaetzle. Very good. I bought a hand held gismo to put the dough through and into the water.

Blog Entries
    OMG This is exactly the devise I was talking about. I had no idea you could still buy them. And the tip on how to re-serve them - this is what I was looking for. I see you're from MI - I live in SW MI - where are you?
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I buy them in a bag at the grocery store. No need for any tool to grate -- lol.

Blog Entries
    I'm in the thumb, about half way between flint & port huron.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Interesting - my Son-I-L is from Montrose - may be close to you. I live in the corner of SW MI (Sawyer) shores of Lake MI. Guess too far away to get together - unless you come this way some time.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Pasta by any ethnic name is yummy! My son makes them by just using a board and table knife and pushing little bits off the board into the boiling broth...YUM...and if it is German it is spaetzle...

I believe these are called rivels. They are made from a very soft noodle like dough and there is a special tool to push the dough through and drop it into water or broth. You can also squish it through a colander, a slotted spoon, a larger opening strainer, etc. They cook very quickly and add good texture to soups.

I've also seen to use a colander to slide the dough across. When I made it I just dropped tiny pieces into the water.

With the grater I think this is spaetzle. I just bought a spaetzle maker a few weeks ago, the brand was Norpro. They are pretty readily available in my part of the country. You can also use a metal colander. By the spelling you might be thinking of knephla which is a small dumpling used in soup or fried with sausage and potatoes. Both are very common German Russian foods and are delicious. I must say I was vey offended by Grannie Annies comment that they were " silly sounding". Not good to make fun of others language or heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by kathidahl View Post
    Pasta by any ethnic name is yummy! My son makes them by just using a board and table knife and pushing little bits off the board into the boiling broth...YUM...and if it is German it is spaetzle...
    Yup this works too! Great by any name!!

Quote Originally Posted by nprisner View Post
    I buy them in a bag at the grocery store. No need for any tool to grate -- lol.
    Both knefla and spaetzle are available in the freezer case but around here they are 6 or 7 dollars for a 1 lb bag or smaller! Lots of money for flour and egg I think.

I make them also. Can still get the spatzel press at Russo on 29th st. in Grand Rapids. I had a couple of recipes for them, but thought the neffles were fried in butter after they were cooked in boiling water, where the spatzel was just cooked in boiling water or broth.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    I make them also. Can still get the spatzel press at Russo on 29th st. in Grand Rapids. I had a couple of recipes for them, but thought the neffles were fried in butter after they were cooked in boiling water, where the spatzel was just cooked in boiling water or broth.....
    My husband makes spatzel often. They are delicious. I would boil them ahead of time and then heat them in butter and herbs just before serving. He made a press out of a metal pie plate, It worked until he found and actual spatzel press at Sur la Table.

We called them Kneffles... After we boiled them we fried them in butter and served them under sour kraut with spare ribs. Yummy. And there was no smell quite like it any other time in our kitchen

Judy in Phx, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
    Yup this works too! Great by any name!!
    Thats how I make them as well. I use a small cutting board that has been dampened with water and I scoop pieces into the boiling broth. We make ours larger than the traditional spaazle. Sometimes I drop them into boiling beef...sometimes into chicken broth .....and sometimes I just drain and add butter and salt and pepper. YUMMY!!!

This sounds so interesting. Would they be kind of like the noodles in chicken noodle soup?
    June

..after I read the initial thread on this subject, I bought one of these spaetzle(sp) maker gizmos... Me and mine love when I make kluski (noodles-Polish)when I make homemade chix soup, so I thought this might be fun too, and I LOVE gizmos......they are yummy......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast