Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: No roll, no fail, pie crust!

No roll, no fail, pie crust!

It's getting to be pie making time, so for those of you who need a fast and easy crust, no rolling pin required, do I have the recipe for you!

Whenever I get all the ingredients out, I go ahead and make up several "Pie Crust Mix" bags (in sandwich bags). The next time I go to make a pie, I can just grab the mix of the dry ingredients, add the oil and milk, and I'm good to go. My dad actually requests my pie crust mix for gift giving occasions (Christmas, birthday, Father's Day, I ran out of pie mix day, etc)

I've used this recipe for several years and it hasn't failed me a single time. I share it far and wide now

Pat-in-pan Pie Crust

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c plus 3 Tbs all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c vegetable oil

3 Tbs cold milk

Directions:

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom. Flute the edges*. Shell is now ready to be filled. If you are preparing a shell to fill later, or your recipe requires a prebaked crust, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork and bake 15 minutes, checking often, and Pricking more if needed.

Variation: For a 10-inch shell, use 2 cups all-purpose flour; 2 teaspoons sugar; 1 teaspoon salt; 2/3 cup vegetable oil; 3 tablespoons milk.

"Quick, crisp but tender, it needs no rolling out. I highly recommend this pie crust, especially if you think you can't make a good pie. This recipe can only be used for one-crust pies - you Can't double the recipe and roll out a top crust**. The mixture is just too tender to transfer from the pastry board or cloth to the pie." (Marcia Adams) Cooking from Quilt Country

* I usually only bring the crust to the top and don't make edges. I hate having to watch them so they don't burn, so I just don't make them.

**True, you can't really roll out a top crust, but I have made a top crust anyway, just flattening portions in my palms and placing it on top of the pie. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-12-2018 at 01:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Thanks for sharing!
    I avoid pie making since its only DH and me, but I might give this a try at Thanksgiving...........if not I know where Costco is. LOL
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

I never learned how to make good piecrust, much to the dismay of my home ec teacher. As a young married somebody gave me this recipe and I was saved. This made such pretty crusts. These were so pretty I could take pie to my mother in law's house!!! And it tasted good.
    We called it Pat a Pie oil pastry because you pat it out instead of rolling.

Thanks for the recipe. I used to have one that you made in a pie pan, it was very good, but that's been many moons ago and haven't seen the recipe for decades.

I have an oil crust recipe that I used to use and yes, you can roll it out but it has to be done between sheets of waxed paper. Then you have to be careful with transferring from paper to pie.

Can I double this recipe to use in a 9x13 pan to use as the bottom crust for a pumpkin desert?

Quote Originally Posted by aborning View Post
    Can I double this recipe to use in a 9x13 pan to use as the bottom crust for a pumpkin desert?
    I haven't tried it, but I don't see why not! Just follow the pre-bake instructions if your recipe calls for it.

I love that others have tried this (or similar) recipes in the past and had success. The lady I got it from had used it for years as well. It's a quick crust to make, and the flavor is so much better than the stuff you buy in stores! (in my opinion...)

The rolled out pie crusts in the grocery store are very good. Not the frozen ones - the refrigerated ones
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for posting. I have been waiting for something like this!

I have many shortcuts to making pie crusts. I use this crust more then any other for pre baked crusts.

Spreadable Pastry Crust

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/4 cup powdered sugar

Beat all ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed about 2 minutes or until creamy. Spread on bottom of ungreased pan. For blind baking crust: Bake 350 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Can double for larger pan.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have an easy recipe for pie crust...I usually make about 80 to 100 individual turkey pies in the fall. So easy to pop the pies into the oven to bake and 50 minutes later eat.
    1 lb lard
    4-5 cups all purpose flour
    put these into a bowl and cut up till crumbly
    add 1 cup club soda
    mix that gently into the dough mixture until it is smooth (no lumps)
    then I roll it into a log...fully cover it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge to chill for an hour or two.
    Then when needed slice the log like making cookies...roll out the dough to cover the little meat pie pans.
    Then fill with what ever filling you have...I use turkey and veggies in a gravy or use beef and veggies.
    Roll out another slice of dough for the pie topper...pinch around the edges...poke holes in top. Then after I have a few made I put them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer. Once they are frozen I transfer them into individual zip loc
    baggies and put name and date on with permanent marker.

For those who can't make pie crusts, don't despair...I've been a certified Red Seal Chef for 25 years and I can't make one to save my life.
    I really appreciate these easy to do pie crust recipes!

Watson.

Blog Entries
    you know, i don't even know what vegetable oil looks like at the store. or lard or what ever was used before i went to olive oil. so some recipes mess me up like that. I like pat in pie crusts, I see Pioneer Woman do them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    For those who can't make pie crusts, don't despair...I've been a certified Red Seal Chef for 25 years and I can't make one to save my life.
    I really appreciate these easy to do pie crust recipes!

Watson.
    Come see me - I'll teach you. My kids learned when they were in the single digits....
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Growing up as a 4H-er in a rural area, pie making was a basic skill, lol. I don't do it often now bc it's just DH and me - and I LOVE pie. Best not to have the temptation.

I use a combination of lard and shortening. Lard guarantees a flaky crust. Some people are squeamish about it. To me, fat is fat.

A friend makes crust using an egg. I've heard of oil, I've heard of adding vinegar, but never an egg. She swears by it.

Now you know I'm going to have to make a pie soon.