Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pork Chop problems >

Pork Chop problems

Pork Chop problems

Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Pork Chop problems

I don't know what is wrong with me, but I can't cook a decent pork chop anymore. They all turn out tough. Do any of you have a way to cook chops that will be tender? Thanks in advance for any answers. Marcia
Old 04-12-2017, 02:04 PM

I'll be watching this thread: I'm having the same problem!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Tough usually means you are cooking it too fast, and too high of heat.
If on stovetop, sear first, then lower the heat and cook slowly, with liquid.

Another way that I do pork chops, that are juicy, tender and oh-so easy .....
Lay uncooked chops in a flat baking pan.
Top with sliced potatoes, as you would for scalloped potatoes.
Include sliced onions and/or carrots to your choosing.
Add melted butter and season as desired.
Pour in milk.
Top with foil .... and bake.
Now, the best part .......... go to the sewing room while it bakes!

The foil topping will keep the moisture in there and help tenderize the chops as they cook.
Remove the foil at the end, and let the milk cook off.
The starch of the potatoes will help thicken the milk, to be more like scalloped potatoes.

This is my easy-no-fail and most favoured pork chop method!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes cook mine in the oven in homemade barbecue sauce. I use a can of tomato soup and 1 can water, 1/4 cup grown sugar, 1tsp. Mustard and whatever spices I feel like. I placed the chops in a my little oven pan and pour the sauce over them and put the lid on. I roast them in the oven until the sauce starts to thicken about an hour and 1/2? I serve them with rice.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:29 PM

I've been having the same problem. We no longer even try to cook them on the grill and my DH is a good griller! I asked the butcher about this and he thought we were grilling them too long. I don't think so. The only way I fix them now is to flour and brown them and then add a little water to the pan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or so. Also try try to find the chops with a little bone, called rib chops around here. But, I think they have gone so far trying to reduce the amount of fat in pork that it has made them tough. JMHO
Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I can't cook a decent pork chop anymore. They all turn out tough. Do any of you have a way to cook chops that will be tender? Thanks in advance for any answers. Marcia
I haven't fried a pork chop in almost 30 years. I use a coating called "Oven Fry" for pork. The box is green. You can find it next to the Shake & Bake, usually same aisle as flour/sugar/etc. Takes 20-25 minutes in the oven (400 degrees). Thicker chops I do 25 minutes, do not flip during baking. Wet the chops with water, pour coating into a plastic bag, coat 1 chop at a time pressing it on until well coated on all sides, place on sprayed baking sheet & bake. Simple.

I also roast a veggie, on a different baking sheet/foil lined (drizzle a little olive oil/Salt/Pepper), at the same time. Chunked whatever veggie you like....sweet potatoes/peeled optional, cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, etc. Roll veggies over at 15 minutes & continue to bake another 10 minutes or until tender. They will have browned areas.

If you don't want to use "Oven Fry" you can use seasoned bread crumbs. Either one seals in the moisture making them juicy & tender.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Banned

Yes, turn the heat down. Another way is to brown them, slice onions over them and add cream of mushroom soup, turn down the heat and simmer til tender.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Mine were too dry & I love pork chops! We love them cooked this way now.
I brown them lightly with a bit of real butter. 4 chops
Then add 2 cans fat free cream of mushroom soup - low heat - & let simmer for 2 or more hours.
We like them with noodles, but also do the Simply Potatoes brand of microwaveable mashed potatoes.
Quick & easy supper.
Looking forward to seeing other recipes.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 PM

I'd been having trouble too and hit on a way my hub likes, brown the chops, add water or chicken broth and simmer until almost tender, about a half hour, then toss sliced fresh mushrooms into the pan, the liquid will be nearly gone but enough to saute the mushrooms, when they're soft I pile them on the chops and sometimes sprinkle some mozzarella cheese over them and let it get melty, pretty yummy. This also works with boneless chicken breasts.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:04 PM

start with a COLD fry pan