Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   RUBARB (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/rubarb-t51297.html)

mosher92 06-25-2010 09:07 AM

Anyone have any suggestion as to what to do with rubarb? I didn't care the pie that was made with it but have lot that I could use for something?

shequilts 06-25-2010 09:29 AM

Sorry, but I don't like it either. It does make good compost though!

littlehud 06-25-2010 02:58 PM

I make rhubarb crisp with lots of sugar and serve it with ice cream or whipped topping. There is never any left over.

gaigai 06-25-2010 02:59 PM

My grandmother used to make Rhubarb Strawberry Pie. It was YUMMY!!!! You can send it here! Mom likes to just eat it raw. We'll take all we can get! LOL

clem55 06-25-2010 04:11 PM

My favorite was to have it cooked with sugar and tapioca for thickening, then we ate it cold, over hot buttered toast or biscuits. Delicious!!

MinnieKat 06-25-2010 04:11 PM

I have soooo much rhubarb! This year I've made refrigerator jam (strawberry rhubarb and apricot rhubarb), rhubarb crisp, rhubarb pie, rhubarb ketchup, and I'm trying a batch of rhubarb wine. I also saw a recipe for rhubarb pickles but haven't tried that yet.

catz 06-25-2010 04:27 PM

MinnieKat
I also live in Northern Minnesota, and we had an overabudance of rhubarb this year. We were going to try and make some wine, but never got around to it. Do you have a recipe for the wine that you'd be willing to share?
Since I have Celiac Disease I don't make as many baked goods as I used to, but I did manage to find a really good rhubard crisp recipe.
Catz :-P

MinnieKat 06-25-2010 05:44 PM

Yes, sure ... this is from a book called The Joy of Rhubarb by Theresa Millang.

RHUBARB WINE
8 lb. fresh rhubarb, cut into small pieces
8 quarts boiling water
6 lbs. granulated sugar
2 12 oz. pkgs seedless raisins
4 fresh lemons, sliced
4 fresh oranges, sliced
2 yeast cakes

Place rhubarb in a large sterilized crock. Pour boiling water over rhubarb. Cover and let stand one week, stirring well each day. At the end of the week, strain, and add sugar, raisins, lemons, oranges and crumbled yeast cakes to the liquid (I couldn't find yeast cakes, I just used the little packets). Let stand until it stops working, approx. four weeks (Could be less if weather is warm.) Strain through several thicknesses of cheesecloth. Bottle and keep in a cool place.

I started the wine in a 5 gallon plastic pickle pail so it would be easier to strain the rhubarb. Then I put it into the crock. I haven't finished this batch yet, it should be done next week. I've never made this before so I'm hoping it turns out ok. Good luck with yours!

tcnmom 06-25-2010 05:47 PM

I love rhubarb and wish I had some. I like rhubarb custard pie and rhubarb bars.

craftybear 06-25-2010 06:58 PM

sounds good, can you post your recipe please

Originally Posted by littlehud
I make rhubarb crisp with lots of sugar and serve it with ice cream or whipped topping. There is never any left over.