Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Secret To The BEST Buttermilk Biscuits >

Secret To The BEST Buttermilk Biscuits

Secret To The BEST Buttermilk Biscuits

Old 03-29-2023, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I use coconut oil for popping popcorn. It is so good. I was told not to use Louann's coconut oil. I don't know if that brand has changed from then or not but it use to be bad quality. Good for candles, lip gloss, etc.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:32 AM

Eewwww...you need to use good, food quality coconut oil. They sell it now in most of the major grocery stores and also online.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:26 PM

I've been making butter swim biscuits, discovered them on spring baking championship on food network, made them last weekend, but didn't come out right, went back to Pinterest and noticed, all the pictures were in glass baking dishes, I had made mine in a metal pan, glass is trick. They came out perfect.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:55 PM

My biscuits were hockey pucks until I read an article written by a woman who was raised in the South. She moved to NY and could not replicate her mother's biscuits, hers turned out like hockey pucks also. She tried and tried and tried and her mama kept saying "it's not that difficult darlin". She did some deep digging and experimenting and discovered that the difference was the flour. In the north (and NW, where I am) you cannot buy soft winter wheat, which is what is prevalent in the south. My husband's cousin lives in South Carolina. I asked her to send me some of the flour from her grocery store. She sent me 3 different 5-lb packages, every single one said it was made with soft winter wheat. The biscuits I made with these flours were FABULOUS - light and super fluffy! We just cannot get soft winter wheat flour here, I wish I knew why. I have to order it online. Bob's Red Mill HQ and manufacturing plant is half an hour from my house and even they don't have it.
Of course, now that I've finally got biscuits figured out, my hubby and I have stopped eating them....
Old 04-04-2023, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Peggi, your last sentence cracked me up but also made me sigh- my husband has bread baking down to a science. I could literally eat the whole loaf at once. But my doctor told me to get rid of the bread and pasta
I'm not even going to mention biscuits to hubby haha!!
Old 04-05-2023, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
I've been making butter swim biscuits, discovered them on spring baking championship on food network, made them last weekend, but didn't come out right, went back to Pinterest and noticed, all the pictures were in glass baking dishes, I had made mine in a metal pan, glass is trick. They came out perfect.
Why are they called "swim biscuits?"
Old 04-05-2023, 09:01 AM

Do they swim in butter? If so, YUM! 😆
Old 04-07-2023, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

During the pandemic I found Cooking with Brenda Gantt on Facebook and now she has a YouTube Channel for those of you not on Facebook. She shows how to make biscuits using crisco and buttermilk and White Lily self rising flour. It is a different wheat flour, lighter. I think it is from summer wheat? Anyway, she makes them in a bowl using only her hand. I have mastered this, not hard. Biscuits delicious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c69LziExWsE
Old 04-07-2023, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Do they swim in butter? If so, YUM! 😆
Yes they do. Melt 1 stick of butter, pour it in a pyrex glass 9x9" pan. Mix1 3/4 cup buttermilk2 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar2 tsp salt
mix well with wooden spoon pour into pan on butter spread evenly, run a knife through raw dough to shape biscuits
Bake 450 20-25 minutes
if you Google or Pinterest butter swim biscuits or YouTube it, you'll have all kinds of pictures to go by. They are so yummy.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Try the coconut oil. It's a good replacement for lard, or Crisco Both of these have been my regular go-tos, but I think that I like the coconut oil better. It tastes lighter and adds a nice crispness to the edges and tops.
I made buttermilk biscuits today and used my solidified coconut oil. I keep it in the fridge and it was like slippery little rocks. My poor pastry cutter couldn't handle the chunks and I resorted to squishing the coconut lumps with a fork. It was a lot of work and I can't say we could taste any discernible difference. Today's breakfast was a joint effort. I made the biscuits and DH made the sausage gravy.