Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: southern homemade biscuits

If I'm in a hurry, I use this "drop biscuit" recipe. 2 c. self rising flour, 2/3 c. buttermilk, 1/3 cooking oil. Mix just until all flour is mixed in. Drop on greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes. Yummy every time!

Blog Entries
    I need to try a couple of these recipes also

I use the one on the Baking Powder can.

If I'm in a real hurry, I'll make the bisquick recipe. I've never used the cream recipe, that sounds yummy.
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    These are our favorite's If I add in sugar or more sugar I have bisquits for shortcake with strawberries I do tend to add in of shorting about 4 TBL with the butter sometimes I add in the whole stick of Butter. I do put my flour in the freezer for 20 min before using it Everything nice and cold! I also bake on parchment paper, I don't over work my dough and pat it out to make 8 now i'll have to make some... I hope you enjoy

biscuts
    2cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the board
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 tablespoon baking powder (use one without aluminum)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt or salt
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold
    3/4 cup buttermilk (approx)
    Directions
    1Preheat your oven to 450F. turn it down to 400 after you put your pan in. bake 20 min
    2Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, or in the bowl of a food processor.
    3Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal.
    4If using a food processor, just pulse a few times until this consistency is achieved.
    5Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined.
    400 20 min
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

I have a recipe similar to this, it uses only self rising flour and instead of buttermilk, it calls for heavy whipping cream ( in the carton, just like milk).

I also use White Lily self rising flour, and so did my Mother and grandmother. It's been around for a long time! Martha White bought them out several years ago, but they have kept the same name and manufacturing process. It's only sold in the south, hence southern style biscuits! At least that's what we tell those who live in other places!Mother could tell the difference in flour by the way it felt. White Lily is a soft wheat flour, and is more like cake flour. Their self rising corn meal is good also.

My mother made the best homemade biscuits. She was from Hahira , GA. Hahira is near Valdosta Ga. She always used buttermilk when she made them.

I just read these posts and it is 11:20pm and my stomach is growling. Shame on all of you!
    June

I like biscuits but only homemade. I always try some new kind of recipes of biscuits and i found this wonderful thread to learn some different ideas. I will try these ideas soon.

Have you ever heard of the 7-Up biscuit? The recipe is all over the internet. Here is the basic version. By the way, they're delicious and they don't taste like Bisquick.

Easy 7-Up Biscuits
    Ingredients:

2 Cups Bisquick
    1/2 Cup Sour Cream
    1/2 cup 7-UP
    1/4 cup melted butter

Directions:
    Cut Sour Cream into biscuit mix then add 7-up. It makes a very soft dough. Sprinkle additional biscuit mix on board or table and pat dough out. - Don't knead the dough - just pat it out. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 9 inch square pan. Cut 9 biscuits into circles. Place cut biscuits in pan and bake at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Keep on eye on them the last minutes of cooking.

There are several variations on this recipe, here's mine. Since the batter for this is very soft, I don't fuss with patting the batter out or cutting the biscuits. I just pour the whole batter into the baking dish. Plus I melt a little extra butter and pour half in the bottom of the dish and the rest over the top of the biscuit.

You don't have to use 7-Up, you can use Sprite or ginger ale. And you don't have to use sour cream, some people use yogurt. Like I said, you can search for some of the variations.

But please try this. As Mr. Monk the detective says, "You'll thank me later."

Tate in Cary
    King of the Rocketeers!

Blog Entries
    ok I was just wondering about the whipped cream, forgive my ignorance, are we talking about cool whip or what??
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

Blog Entries
    wow ladies! I am going to try them and see the outcome, is there a substitute for the white lily flour?
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

Blog Entries
    jodyma, yes those biscuits are the "bomb", but I just wanted to try my hand at making my own.

Blog Entries
    I use King Arthur flour and like it.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Blog Entries
    Thanks Navy Wife, I am going to go look at Walmart and food lion for that brand

Jo M....I made these for my husband last night for dinner to go with baked chicken. They were delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
    I have made them for years with just buttermilk and self rising flour; works out fine every time!

delma
    I agree - self rising flour (any kind) and buttermilk. Turn out on floured board - pat out to desired thickness. Dip each side in oil in pan (I use olive oil). I didn't learn how to make biscuits until I was 50 and then I learned about self rising flour and buttermilk. yea!!!!!
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter View Post
    ok I was just wondering about the whipped cream, forgive my ignorance, are we talking about cool whip or what??
    It is whipping cream not whipped cream. Comes in a carton just like milk.

I just made a batch of biscuits with a new reciepe, they were about 2 inches high and "almost" perfect. All of the other biscuits I've made have crumbled.
    This time
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    2/3 cup buttermilk
    1 table spoon lard
    pinch of baking soda
    2 table spoons baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    about 2 1/2 cups self rising flour

I put everything in my mixer,except the flour
    mixed until whipping cream was about half stiff.
    I added the first cup of flour, blended, and it was still sticky
    so I added a half cup more, then another half cup blending
    in between, when it was thick enough I turned it out on
    a board, floured the board and worked enough in to make it soft
    but not stiff, kneaded about 4 or 5 times.
    I cut the dough in biscuit size squares and rolled
    them over my finger to round them out. Placed them in a cast iron
    skillet and baked at 400 for about 13 min.
    Best I've made so far.
    Syl
    Last edited by ThreadHead; 12-15-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Syl

Yes, they are made with lard. There may be a recipe on the back of the self rising flour bag. Here a link for one I sent to my son.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-biscuits/detail.aspx

Well my mom made the best biscuits this way: 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup olive oil,stir in enough self rising flour until soft dough (2-3cups) will be sticky then pour out onto floured board and mix in enough SR flour until can handle without being sticky. Pinch off dough and roll in hand to form into ball (can also cut out by cutting straight down then twist if you must). Bake in hot 400-425 oven about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Very tender and flaky as oil is through out dough. Can use butter if you prefer, but melt I it. She baked them in a hot cast iron skillet with oil that she coated biscuits with then turned them over so both sides had oil. Yum! I make them too.
    Last edited by Janeway2; 02-21-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Janeway, these sound good.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

OK -- these are not southern, but they are good. I have made these for about 40 years (bought the cookbook on our first trip to Knotts Berry Farm). I have made a few changes over the years, but nothing much.

Knotts Berry Farm Biscuits
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder (yes -- Tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    shortening (crisco) the size of an egg (originally 1 teaspoon shortening)
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk or
    1 cup milk plus 1/8 teaspoon vinegar
    1/2 cup oil

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl. Add shortening and blend well. Add baking soda to buttermilk, then blend into flour mixture. Place dough on generously floured surface and sprinkle with additional flour. Do not overwork dough. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut with 2-inch biscuit cutter. Dip biscuits in oil to cover all sides and place immediately on oiled baking sheet with all biscuits touching. Bake at 500 (I usually cook them at 400 and it takes a bit longer) degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I make mine the way coyote magic makes hers and they always turn out well.

delma

This sounds too easy and yummy but I will have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
    1pound bag of self-rising flour
    1quart buttermilk

Mix

Roll them out on a floured surfaces.

Bake 375* until golden
    Anna Quilts

I am interested in trying all the recipes especially the ones with creme but my body says I should only sample the buttermilk and flour recipe. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kalady View Post
    Yes, the fat in the whipping cream is replacing the lard or butter. I am interested in trying the buttermilk version seen in this post as it would be lower in fat.
    Anna Quilts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast