Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Tamales >

Tamales

Tamales

Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 AM

I love tamales. I have never attempted to make them. Sound delicious.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Our neighbor used to make tamales. I wanted to pay her for them but she wouldn't hear of it. So I started giving her a gift card in her mailbox. Did that for each year she made some. Been few years and she's been busy. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and bought some chicken and green salsa tamales. So good. I like them for breakfast with couple fried eggs on side. lunch with a light salad and also for supper. Love salsa on top. DH doesn't like them at all. Cost me $8.50 for 5 but they're 2xthe size.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:21 AM

Ohhhhhhh, I am so homesick for Texas reading this post. I'll have to hit my GS up to ship me some for Christmas. I already have pecans on my list for him to send me, might as well add a big package of tamales--I'll have his mama make some, or call her friends to make us some......Merry Christmas, all of you.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
How do you use your Kitchen Aid? For the masa?
Yes. First I whip the margarine or equivalent substitute then mix it to the masa. I use the tip that includes the spatula and literally run it on high for +/- 3 min tops and its ready to spread on the corn husks leaf.

I have the clear glass bowl. It is a beauty to see the powerful mix motion and how the spatula throws mix in the center to auto re-mix. If only my g-m could witness such tech advantage. Kinda same as rotary cutting in quilting.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 AM

wow -- impressive -- my favorite Thanksgiving dinner of all times was homemade tacos and tamales!!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM

I miss them, too. My great aunt and aunts would make meat and sweet tamales on Christmas Eve. We would eat them all night. Maybe it's time for me to learn, since I have a Kitchen Aid as well. Anybody will to share a recipe?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Helpful link:http://www.mimaseca.com/en/recetas/d...n-tamales/1217My tips:1) Sift the dry masa before adding the broth2) whip the margarine or equivalent fat until it is light and fluffy like cake icing3) Mix the whipped margarine with the masa on high speed 3-4 min. Take a half tspn of the mixed masa batter and drop in a half glass room temperature water. If the masa batter floats to the top, the masa batter is ready to spread with a spoon on a husk leaf, add the prepared seasoned stew, fold and steam cook4) I use a 12 quart steamer and steam cook +/- 2 doz tamales in 1 hour.

Last edited by FabQuilter; 12-15-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

I am a newcomer too but have made it several times over the last 28 yrs or so. We plan to make ours with New Years this year. we are eating our way through some old roosters so I plan to make lots of broth and then cut the rooster meat really small. Should be flavorful. I plan to heat the pan over a wood fire this year.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I am a newcomer too but have made it several times over the last 28 yrs or so. We plan to make ours with New Years this year. we are eating our way through some old roosters so I plan to make lots of broth and then cut the rooster meat really small. Should be flavorful. I plan to heat the pan over a wood fire this year.
Your broth will make the tamales extra flavorful!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Sorry to be so dumb on this, but have never eaten a tamale, the canned ones I saw in the stores, didn't even appeal to me. Do you eat the corn husk with them or just the goodies inside. May have to look in the frozen aisle and try some sometime, but know they can't compare to the home made ones. I have no knowledge about tamales whatsoever so would someone enlighten me on them, how you eat them etc. Thanks from a dummy.