Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Vegetarian neighbor >

Vegetarian neighbor

Vegetarian neighbor

Old 05-14-2018, 10:44 AM

You can't go wrong with Morning Star Original Veggie Burgers on the grill, sliced potatoes/onions/peppers wrapped in foil on the grill, a 3-bean salad, a tossed green salad and fresh fruit for dessert. The meat eaters won't even notice.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 AM

I made this garbanzo stew for dinner last night and it was yummy! DH loved it too. We are not vegan or vegetarian but several of our kids are. We shared it with our son and his wife and they also loved it. Can't wait to try some of these other recipes.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM

It's so kind and hospitable of you to want to invite new neighbors to dinner. Such a rare treat in this day and age to be asked to someone's home for a meal. My dad and sister are vegetarian, but there are things that agree with him that don't with her, so my advice to is to ask. They may or may not do certain foods because they simply don't take care for them, but they probably would hesitate to be picky if invited.

Mexican food is easy to fix and please everyone--you can keep the meat separate from the bean paste and everyone still gets a protein. All the other condiments can be built into tacos or nacho salad. But do ask--some people like salsa, if it's not too spicy. I'd suggest a fruit salad or a bowl of berries as a side dish.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:12 AM

Never heard the "wasps in figs" before..how did they get there? Sorry, but I like figs, fresh or dried. I am not a vegan nor do I have any friends, relatives or acquaintances that are. Why not just go to a restaurant (if their choosing) and let someone else do the "cooking".
Old 05-17-2018, 03:09 PM

I like zozee's idea of Mexican food. That works well for my son and his wife, who is a vegetarian. She was raised as a vegetarian, did not take it up as a trendy idea. They can order fajitas when they go out, she eats just the veggies and he will have both. Same at home with tacos and other Mexican food. They work it out what ever type of meal they have. She is actually can find something to eat even if people don't make something special for her. Bread and salad will work for her if need be. We eat a lot of vegetables at our house anyway so not a problem. Vegetable lasagna is also a popular option around here. Everyone likes it. BTW, DDIL is one who does not eat mushrooms. Doesn't like them.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:08 AM

Wow! I was gone from the board for awhile and came back to find all of these amazing vegetarian recipes! What an awesome thread! I'm definitely trying some of these recipes.

My advice: If you don't feel comfortable asking them what their preferences are, just go vegan. It's a safe bet and trust me, no one will miss the eat, cheese, milk, etc. There are so many fantastic vegan dishes out there right now. Here are some sites that might give you some inspiration:

olivesfordinner.com
https://wickedhealthyfood.com/
https://fatfreevegan.com/
https://www.veganricha.com/
http://www.isachandra.com/
http://ohsheglows.com/

I have more, but that will keep you busy for awhile. Have fun cooking for your new neighbors and friends!

~ C
Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 AM

I have made this garbanzo stew a couple times since finding it here. Hubby loves it and since 3 of our 4 children have gone vegan it's great to find things that everyone likes. Thanks!

Last edited by susananne; 06-13-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Thank you for pointing out that some foods that would seem to be vegetarian are really not tesspug. I have heard that strawberry and raspberry yogurt have bugs in it to flavor it "artificially", but I didn't know about figs. I posted a recipe with mayonaise in it. Mayonaise has eggs as an ingredient, so you would have to be an ovo-vegetarian to use my recipe. Also, I wanted to say that in my post I mentioned that Gelatin was a complete protein. I wasn't thinking clearly enough when I mentioned that, because Gelatin is an animal product. So yes, you do have to be careful about seemingly innocent ingredients with a vegetarian diet.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I never understood a vegetarian wanting food to look like meat or taste like meat but not be meat. A friend's grandson is allergic to meat from a disease he got from a tick bite. He said eating a fake burger is the worse thing ever. He by passes the resemblance of food that is suppose to be like meat. He said it only disappoints.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I never understood a vegetarian wanting food to look like meat or taste like meat but not be meat. A friend's grandson is allergic to meat from a disease he got from a tick bite. He said eating a fake burger is the worse thing ever. He by passes the resemblance of food that is suppose to be like meat. He said it only disappoints.
Very interesting comment, and it has me thinking--why is it that some cat food is shaped like fish? Who do "they" think they're fooling?