Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Vegetarian neighbor >

Vegetarian neighbor

Vegetarian neighbor

Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I never understood a vegetarian wanting food to look like meat or taste like meat but not be meat. A friend's grandson is allergic to meat from a disease he got from a tick bite. He said eating a fake burger is the worse thing ever. He by passes the resemblance of food that is suppose to be like meat. He said it only disappoints.
In reply to your comment...

I think that most people in the USA did not grow up on a plant-based diet. They grew up eating pork, chicken, burgers, cheese, bacon, etc. It can be difficult to change over from that type of diet to a vegan lifestyle after many years of eating animal-based foods. Having plant-based substitutes can help to make the change. Besides, they're fun to make and eat. It just takes an open mind and adventurous spirit to make the old foods and recipes in a new, healthier, plant-based way.

As for burgers, we make a homemade, vegan burger that's delicious! I'll agree, some of the vegan, burger patties in the grocery store taste terrible. But then, I've had some store bought, meat burgers that were pretty bad too. You just have to look around until you find one that you like. If you can't find one, make your own.

~ C
Old 06-19-2018, 04:40 AM

Thanks for all the input. We had them over on Sunday & I made cheese enchiladas with refried beans, spanish rice, tortilla chips & salsa & they loved it. They said they like Mexican food so that's what we had. They are going to take us to an Indian buffet in the next week or so & we can sample Indian food & she will know what we like & make it for us when we go to their home for a meal. She doesn't cook with curry & that is good because we know we don't like curry.