Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting on a Quilt Label >

Putting on a Quilt Label

Putting on a Quilt Label

Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I know a quilt instructor in our area who made a gorgeous quilt. The customer removed the label and attached a different label saying she had made the quilt. This instructor now incorporates her labels as part of the back. If it is removed it would make a mess. Kind of sad someone would stoop to such lows, but it happens.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and how you do yours. As always.... this group never disappoints.

I have ideas for this quilt and also for ones in the future.

I hope to remember to do the label before I sandwich it next time. (That would make life much easier)
I wanted to put a date on this one and had no idea when I would get in finished.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I know a quilt instructor in our area who made a gorgeous quilt. The customer removed the label and attached a different label saying she had made the quilt. This instructor now incorporates her labels as part of the back. If it is removed it would make a mess. Kind of sad someone would stoop to such lows, but it happens.

OMG, that's terrible.... lessons learned. How low can someone go to call someones work their own.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Janet My

OMG, that's terrible.... lessons learned. How low can someone go to call someones work their own.
On that note, I make sure that I actually sew on the label using a satin stitch, and then quilt over the label to make certain the label does not part from the quilt. That seems to secure it very well, and make certain I receive the credit for it. I'm still kind of learning how to really attach the labels. I have heard of this way as being a surefire way of securing the label well.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM

I make my labels either on the computer with printer fabric or on the embroidery machine. I sew it RST to a piece of lightweight fusible interfacing (consider the fusible side as the wrong side), trim the seams with pinking shears, cut a slit in the interfacing and turn the whole thing right side out and iron it onto the quilt back. Then I whip stitch it in place for added security. This makes it easy to turn the label's raw edges evenly to the underside. I have, on occasion, written my name on the quilt backing itself with a pigma pen under the place where I'm going to put the label just in case it would get removed.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Thank you Pam S.

That is an interesting way to do it and I just may try this.

Everyone is just so full of information here... I am really glad I found this board.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Wow, the depths some people will sink to just never cease to amaze me. I shouldn't be surprised because the daily news bombards us every day with people sinking to new depths and these are just the ones that got caught and we hear about. Sad world when we think how many get away with it.
Trying to pass off someone elses work as your own, from plagerism to your example, really frosts my cake (not in a good way). I suspect if some one is willing to do what you described, they would find another way to take credit for work that wasn't their own, or they would not purchase a quilt where they couldn't manipulate the label.

Diane Gaudinsky actually signs her name on her quilts in the quilting itself. I thought that was very clever and may start doing that and put the other pertinant info on the label. That said, I don't think my quilts are quite good enough that someone would want to take credit for them :lol: :lol: