Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilt >

T Shirt Quilt

T Shirt Quilt

Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm so sorry about your grandson. My prayers are with the whole family.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 AM

Hi, please accept my prayers for your loss. I've taught a couple of t-shirt quilt classes. I use Pellon 911 fusible. One tip I always teach is buy a teflon pressing sheet. JoAnn's has them and they are available on line. Put the sheet on your ironing board the t-shirt goes on top face down, then the fusible then the damp pressing sheet. The teflon serves 2 uses: 1. it protects your ironing board from the interfacing gunk and 2. it will keep the design on the t-shirt from transferring onto your ironing surface. Last, when you go to quilt, don't quilt across the design if it is plastic or feel like thick paint, if you break its bond with the fabric while quilting it can peel off.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by mamaquilts
Please get a pressing cloth too.

I've made several and I use a med. weight iron on interfacing.

Sorry to hear about your grandson

Originally Posted by Cattyqwltr
Thanks for the advice about the pressing cloth. I'm just finishing up my first t shirt quilt and have learned the hard way about using a pressing cloth. Nothing catastrophic happened and I'll know better for the next one I make.
The first one I did, I read all kinds of suggestions but one said to use a wet towel for pressing. What a nightmare.
I talked to the gal at the fabric store and she suggested a pressing cloth, My life became much easier after that.

I've made several t shirt quilts and have used that pressing cloth on each of them.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 AM

Here is a good website on an easy way to make a t-shirt quilt. http://usaapp.husqvarnaviking.com/ed...n/pdf/2902.pdf
Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sewfine
Originally Posted by shrabar
Is there anyone that knows what kind of interface to use behind the block when making a tshirt quilt. Thanks have a blessed day
Terrific tees "I Can't Believe It's a T-Shirt Quilt! by Roberta De Luz states. "An absolute must-have is fusible nonwoven interfacing. There are many brands and weights, but a light to medium weight interfacing works best."
This what I use and it works great!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 AM

Go to your fabric store and tell them what you are making and they will help you get the correct interfacing.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 AM

I bought mine at the RagShop (when there was a RagShop) and just bought the packaged kind...as well (like mentioned earlier) the cheapest they had.

It worked just fine.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by shrabar
Thank You very much I am going to try to make 4 lap quilts out of my grandson's tshirts he was killed in May & his Mom & Dad & sister ask for one hope I can do it .
You can do it! I use Pellon lightweight fusible. It has the little dots on the "glue side". I made 3 t-shirt quilts without the fusible, but this one that I'm making now was stabilized. It's is coming out so much better. Can't wait to get it all together.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 AM

So very sorry to hear about your grandson! I'm sure these quilts will be forever treasured and so much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I saw several posts saying use pressing cloth. The lady that taught me used freezer paper. It worked great and I used the same piece to make a second t-shirt quilt! Fold the freezer paper, put the interfacing and piece to be 'faced' in between and iron away.