Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilt >

T Shirt Quilt

T Shirt Quilt

Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 AM

I have made several t-shirt quilts and have tried many different kinds of batting. My favorite is woven, iron-on interfacing. It seems to really help the t-shirt hold the shape YOU want! Enjoy and have fun making a t-shirt quilt! :D
Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your grandson - but think of him as you put your quilt together and somehow the love you feel for him will come out in this quilt....
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 AM

You can go on line and there are many sites to tell you how to make a tee shirt quilt. I just made my first one and my advice to you is to fuse each sq. on a piece of muslin for the backing, after I made mine I learned of this and think it is a good idea
and also if you are going to quilt it don't quilt in the fusible squares. your thread will break all the time. I just did quilting on the sashings.
This of course was just how I did it there will be many answers to this question I believe.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Suz

I prefer the knit fusible. Cut the motif a little larger than the finished block you want to show in your quilt.

The tees stretch right to left. Iron the fusible top to bottom to stabilize the knit. Once it has cooled, then cut the block to size. No rolled edges, they lay down and behave. I also use sashing to help hold the shape of the block/quilt and I tie the ones I make, although the sashing could be quilted.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 AM

My favorite for T-Shirt fusing is Pellon 911FF Featherweight.
Also you can go online to Pellon.com and find a chart for all of their fusing/interfacing , and a detail of which product is best for each application. I have printed it out and really comes in handy. The chart I have is for Sew-in and Fusible. I know some people like the heavier weight. Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 AM

I've made a lot of t-shirt quilts. I use the cheap non-woven iron-on Pellon from JoAnns. I iron it on, cut the t-shirt a bit larger than what I want the finished size to be - when it is quilted the size gets a bit smaller. You will do well with this project. PM me if I can help.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 AM

so sorry to hear about your grandson's accident. I have made two t-shirt quilts, and use only tricot interfacing, which works well. I get it at JoAnn's when i have a 50% off coupon
Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 AM

When my granddaughter started off to college, she asked me to make her a quilt using a bunch of the T shirts she'd acquired the last four years, from school things, church things, concerts, etc. I didn't do anything special. I just cut a big square out of the fronts,
including the logos, and sewed them together, and then used batting and one large piece for the back, and it came out good.
I quilted it in fans, about two or three inches apart. It's held up good. She graduated college in May and is teaching math in a nearby high school.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by khurtdvm
You definitely want fusible interfacing, and I've heard more than one school of thought on stretchy versus woven. One person I asked (who'd made several T-shirt quilts) said that she used whichever was cheaper that day. ;) If you use woven, it will stabilize the knit fabrics. If you use knit interfacing, put it so that the direction of the stretch is perpendicular to the direction of the T-shirt stretch, and that will help to stabilize it.
this is exactly what I do!!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM

I have made4 tee shirt quilts. I like pellon906F interfacing. It is light weight. I am fortunate enough to have a steam iron press, and it works very well. It's from Hancock Fabrics.