Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storage Ideas for Rulers ??? >

Storage Ideas for Rulers ???

Storage Ideas for Rulers ???

Old 11-30-2014, 07:13 PM

Fun to see what everyone does with their rulers - I only have a few long ones and they really are the ones I use the majority of the time, so they stay on my cutting table ready to use. The smaller specialty rulers - easy angle, companion angle, hexies, squares etc. I keep in a large ring binder that I have page protectors in - I slide a ruler and it's instructions in each pocket. Easy to flip through to find whatever ruler I need for my next project.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 PM

Hi Rennie

my husband made a stand for me from a piece of pine and dowels.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 AM

For ironing, I use a large dresser (from thrift store) without a mirror with the big board on top of it. The short end is against the wall, like a peninsula island. The other end and the back of the dresser are painted the same color as the walls. Command hooks does a great job of storing rulers of all sizes on those two sides.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:00 AM

I hang all of my rulers, accordin to shape. Some of them, when purchased, don't have a hole in them so I just use my drill with a fairly large bit and drill a hole in them.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Diane C. View Post
My long ones are stored between 2 separate but close together cabinets. The small onesare in page protectors in a 3 ring binder. Page protectors are 8.5 x 11 and clear. available at Walmart and office supply stores. Diane C
Diane C.
I store my longer "go to" rulers (which are wide) between my sewing machine table leg and a three drawer storage cabinet which are right next to each other. The rulers stand straight. The smaller ones I have in a drawer in that same storage cabinet. This setup is v. handy for me. Those rulers I don't use often I hang on one of those rings with a hook , hanging on a floor lamp right behind my sewing machine. I was sorry I had gotten one of those rings, but eventually found a place for it to hang the rulers. My sewing area is at the end of a spare bedroom so I have to have everything close at hand. Works for me. Good luck in picking and choosing some of these fabulous ideas the Board has to offer!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
I just keep mine in a grooved piece of wood.
A larger one for the big rulers and a smaller one for the small rulers.
Bought one of these at a Quilt Show in South Oz recently. In my sewing room they hang from peg board. DH made a free standing triangular stand from the peg board from my instructions. I love this design because I can have it on the table near where I'm working.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy View Post
Here is a plastic mesh one I made with pockets for various sizes of rulers.

That is neat. I have one with my sewing notions in it that I made. Never thought about using it for rulers. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

My DH makes these for my quilter friends. Because of the angle he puts on the slot where you place the ruler, you can put it on the wall or on a table or shelf.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500737[/ATTACH]

It works well for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruler Rack for Susie.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	500737  
Old 12-01-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
I just bought a metal rod and S hooks at IKEA. I am going to hang them on the wall. Hubby hasn't put the rod up yet as our out-of-town company just left. I am looking forward to getting them hung up because they keep falling out of the wooden racks.
That's what I have. I love it! You're going to love it too. This is an "in-progress" picture; there's a second rail above this one now, all my scissors are now on the top rail, rulers are on the bottom rail and my long rulers hang from the top rail over on the right hand side, down the gap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500744[/ATTACH]

There's a slotted holder on the table for some smaller rulers, and a lot of my bulky rulers are in a holder that sits in the window. The window is exactly the right width to fit the holder, and since it's slightly below the table height it's sort of a box that corrals them all nicely.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500745[/ATTACH]
(The window is dual-pane, has film on it, and is blocked outside by a shed so even in the hottest summer months it doesn't get warm enough to warp anything.)

Name:	s_IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	500744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewing_Room_09.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	500745  
Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Here is the holder I made for mine:

Name:	loaded with rulers.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	500746   Click image for larger version

Name:	ruler holder on end of desk.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	500748  

Last edited by wildyard; 12-01-2014 at 06:45 AM.