Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room >

Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room

Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room

Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 AM

The billy bookcases are 11" deep (outside measurement). So the inside shelf depth is probably about 10 1/2 inches. If your fabric on boards is less than that depth you would be ok. There is a wide selection of doors available for the Billy bookcases. That is what I originally wanted but realized that my bins (containing UFO's) would not fit on the shelves.

I went with IKEA wardrobe cabinets (PAX) and the child's wardrobe cabinet(stuva). These wardrobes are too deep to do fabric on boards efficiently. So I have ruler folded fabric and stacked them on the shelves. This is not quite as convenient as having them on end like bolts - but the wardrobes also have room for my bins of UFO's, an antique sewing machine, dies for my Sizzix Big shot pro, etc. And everything is behind closed doors - so neat (except for the overflow due to more fabric acquisition trips, LOL.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 AM

I have an Ikea dining table that folds down to 40x 24 when not in use (I think I've closed it twice!!) But I have open bookcases. I think the doors would get in the way. Instead, I made a cover out of a plastic, felt-backed table cloth. It keeps my fabric dust free, and I have an automatic design wall when I turn it inside out. I just measured the height that I needed, plus the top and then made pleats on the side--like how you would form the bottom of a cloth bag.

I do have a re purposed bathroom linen tower with a door and am always annoyed that I have to move something to get into it.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 AM

No doors for me. I like everything where I can see it.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 AM

I have the Billy bookcase with glass doors. I keep my fabric folded on comic boards on the shelves. Also my books and patterns and on the bottom shelf two ikea boxes for storing scraps to make labels. I also have an Ikea cd case which is just a mini version of the Billy and I use this for fat quarters.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 AM

BILLY bookcases come in a deeper size now, about 15" deep!!

That's what I have in my sewing room, I was able to fit FIVE of the deeper bookcases along my main wall, and got the cheapest doors they had. I think it looks nice and I LOVE my cabinets. Absolutely love them.

Three of them hold fabric on boards plus all my thread; one of them has a section for my UFO's as well.. One has my larger bolts and things like interfacing and fusible webs, and the fifth one holds all my binders, magazines, glue, and the dies for my die cutter. I bought a lot of extra shelves; they have glass shelves that are great for my UFO's, helps me be able to see what's all there.

This is from when I was still moving into the room. Those white tubs on top of the cabinets are from IKEA too, I put chalkboard stickers on them so I can easily label them. Oh, and I replaced the knobs on the doors with little wooden spools of thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514929[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S_IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	514929  
Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 AM

Location: Moved from New Orleans to Port Neches, TX June 2014

We moved last year and I had a plan to get the most use out of my new sewing studio since there was no closet (it was a formal living room). The room is very small, 11'x11'!! I used Ikea's Billy bookcases with the extensions at the top. I bought a few units that are used for CD storage and use them for my fat quarters. I wanted doors for the Billy units, but decided against them since I have such limited room. You can see pics of my studio here http://peggyinno.blogspot.com/2014/0...rther-ado.html
I have my pics watermarked, so I can't post them here.
Good luck with whatever you decide and happy quilting!!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 AM

I bought bookcases with glass doors from Ikea. I love them. We got 3 bottoms and 1 top for the room because of the window.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 AM

I have what looks like a drafter's table from IkEA. It has pegs, so the top can be adjusted to all different positions, and heights for cutting, ironing, sewing, etc. It has a glass window in one part, where I can shine a light underneath for paper piecing if I want. I have had it several years, and I love it. It sits on saw wooden saw horse legs, and I a petite woman, move it all over the place. It was less than $150.00. I have an arthritic back, and it has kept me cutting and sewing because of its versatility. My family has used IKEA products for years. They are well made, and hold up well.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 AM

I have two of the Billy bookcases with doors on the bottom half of both in the room we call an "office." I love these bookcases! They are MDF but much sterner stuff than the MDF from which other such bookcases are made. I have some heavy notebooks (I "do" genealogy) on the shelves of one and they have not sagged, as will and have other MDF bookcases I've bought.

My kids (DS and DIL) have a house full of IKEA stuff. They love it and it's very durable.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 AM

I have several Ikea pieces in my sewing room and love them. They are attractive, very sturdy and quite reasonable. Here is a link I recently posted of my sewing space showing my Ikea furniture. http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...w-t262130.html