Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband just doesn't understand. >

My husband just doesn't understand.

My husband just doesn't understand.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 AM

Learning to repair their own jeans was both my daughters intro to a sewing machine....worked with one, the other just throws them away and buys new ones, but I get her daughters mending......they aren't interested in meeting a sewing machine either....must be in the genes, ha,ha.

Another thing I will definitely not do is darn DH socks...he tried that a few times and watched as I threw them in the garbage....did not ask again....I guess I am to blame...when we were first married-a century ago-I mended, darned, ironed everything, etc., like all good wives did, now I am able to NOT do those things......freedom to do what I want to........
Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 AM

Don't & won't patch jeans. However, I will repair GDs dresses. I was sewing a seam back together & the youngest at 4 years, was standing behind me. When I told her I was finished, she said "I'm finished too, Mimi." I turned around and saw she had printed her name on the wall! Guess what - it's still there, 2 years later!! I did take a photo of it! Love those grand kids!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Vickymomof6
I patch a lot of jeans. My son in law is a carpenter and I fix his pants all the time.

It's a skill I can use to help others.

I usually un-sew the seams and replace whole sections, that's not really "patching"

Vicky~
That's what I mean by it is an art. I once took a size 3X dress and altered it to fit a X-large SIL.....lol!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM

They just don't get it, huh? But be thankful each day that you still have a hubby!! I lost mine unexpectally 10 yrs ago. The hardest thing, I tell people, is that my 7 DGK don't have a Paw Paw!! But God knows best. (we do wonder tho sometimes). My old house wouldn't need soooo much upkeep if he were here.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Oh girlfriend - we are soul mates. My husband doesn't understand me either, as there are times I will patch things or shorten pants (my nemesis - hate it - absolutely hate it) I would rather make a full size garment than shorten pants. BUT, give me a large piece of fabric and I can cut it apart with the best of them and sew them back together. Once, when I had just started this new job, they took me out to lunch and one attorney asked me if I played golf. I told him my son did in high school and was pretty good, but I could never understand how anyone can hit a ball and then run around the golf course chasing it. Well, was my face red when he told me he played golf. Fortunately, I had a quick comeback - I told him, well, I get large pieces of fabric, cut them up into smaller pieces of fabric and sew them together into large pieces of fabric, which was similar in a way. He laughed. lol When one of my brothers passed away, my sister-in-law gathered up all his old jeans and another SIL taught how she could sew them together to make each of her 4 kids a quilt that would be part of their father. I think that's a great use of those old jeans and the kids had a remembrance, so they could hold him close.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:50 AM

My ex son-in-law worked with concrete so his jeans always had holes in them! I lovely patched many and the "guys" ended up calling him Patches!
So sad that he abused his marriage vows and my daughter divorced him. I miss the happiness we all had and what could have been. Time has gone by and my heart hurts less. I, guess that's life. I've sewn since I was pre-teen and now into my senior years still sewing whatever comes along!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by hmay60
He came home last night as I was cutting up some of his old jeans. He said, are you sure those aren't any good. Well he is the one who quit wearing them. I said yes, they have holes in them. He says you can make quilts, but you can't patch holes. I explained that I quilt for fun, it is my hobby. It doesn't mean I want to spend my time patching holes. Now, I have patched some in the past, and it's not always easy to patch knee holes and pocket holes, and now we can afford to buy him new jeans, when he needs them. He also told me once, that one of the guys he worked with, wanted to know if I would patch some of his jeans, umm no. I work everyday and just don't want to patch clothes. I will sew up some things for the grandkids though, they are special. So anyone else not like to patch clothes.
Going through the exact same thing with my husband. Have holes 3" across knee and wants me to patch! Really??
Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 AM

heres what you get with old jeans! Its a soccor quilt for my grandson that I incoporated jeans even the soccor ball is from jeans! I'm with you who wants patched jeans besides pppl pay big bucks for shredded & torn jeans but gringe when you tell them a price for patching or hemming or any lind of alterations. They think because you have a sewing machine its a five minite job & you should only charge a buck! Yeah right my time is cheap I don't think so, I'll quilt for me & my loved ones.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270500.jpe   attachment-270501.jpe   attachment-270502.jpe  
Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 AM

My DH came in from a visit to a neighbor and told me the guy told him he wants me to alter a pair of pants for him! I sent him right back over to tell the man what he can do with his pants. Take them to the local dry-cleaner. They alter pants, I don't! All my neighbors assume that since I make quilts, I also do alterations, drapes, patching, replacing zippers, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 AM

I've actually wondered that about myself... I love sewing, quilting (all parts of it)... but REALLY don't want to mend, alter, or patch! For me, a ripped pair of jeans shouts, "Cut me up to use for a quilt or something else fun!!"