How did we ever survive?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 AM

Our thing was going to the "show" (movie) on Saturday afternoon, no adults, no going in a vehicle (WE WALKED!), passing by the local ice plant and seeing who could stand in the pile of crushed ice the longest, fishing for crawdads in the ditch (still there -59 years later (probably the only one left in Okla county) and still fished for bait, walking (ALONE) to my friends house on the other side of town,lots of things like that...it is a shame we have to worry about safety so much.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 AM

Love it. I remember all that and a little more. Must be a lot older. Was the good times
Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Ditto! i remember climbing to the top of the chicken coop and sledding down to the snow piles below. We were "play at your own risk kids". And believe it or not, no serious injuries!

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I'm 42 but I remember all those things. I miss those days. Thank you!!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM

I remember those days, you know, the ones before seat belts, and children calling the police because Mom threatened to spank their butt. The days I enjoy most now do not include any of the specialty phones or gadgets of any kind. Usually a trip to the woods or a waterfall nearby where you couldn't get a signal if you had to. Ahhhhhhhh, the price of progress
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Skate keys and climbing trees.
Coonskin caps and shoes with taps.
Cards in our bike wheels and our first pair of heels....1" tall at age 13!
Hand-shelling peas and many skinned knees.
Hide-and-seek with do not peek.
Koolaid frozen on a stick, homemade pudding not so thick.
Summer bee stings and greened finger mood rings.
Fire flies in a jar and wishing on a star.
Playing Indians and cowboys and with sticks for toys.
Carving initials on a tree and a heart for you and me.

Ah, a trip down memory lane. 8-)

Jan in VA
Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM

I forgot about Sunday night, "The Wonderful World of Disney". Not a single cuss word on TV. Remember the fallout shelters? The sign is still there on my old high school. Mom just sewed up new outfit for us and I went out to the culvert. I used the side as a slide-tore the bottom right ouut of those shorts.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mountain deb
I forgot about Sunday night, "The Wonderful World of Disney". Not a single cuss word on TV. Remember the fallout shelters? The sign is still there on my old high school. Mom just sewed up new outfit for us and I went out to the culvert. I used the side as a slide-tore the bottom right ouut of those shorts.
Ohh, I forgot about "The Wonderful World of Disney". I was allowed to "stay up late" on Sunday nite to watch it on a B&W TV! In my mind I can clearly see the fallout shleter sign on my old high school right next to the front doors. I remember the drills we had in elementry schools during the Cold War where everyone sat with their backs against the wall and we put our heads between our legs. Scared me to death!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:31 PM

We didn't know how deprived we were. I really worry about the kids growing up now, they have too much, and every time they do the least thing, you here "good job". I have come to hate that expression. I am sorry that it is not safe for them to play in the front yard and to walk to the store for a treat. Now spanking is wrong? My kids never were allowed to open toys and play with them at the store. A lot of parents have become to occupied with other things more than there children. It seems the more moey they have, the more they are occupied.

I wish our children could have a simple life as we did. Playing outside, making toys out of nothing, being able to entertain yourself.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 PM

I remember kids in school eating paste, with no HAZMAT sheet attached! Do any of you remember glue on our hands because we thought of it? We even played a very dangerous 'sport' that we threw big rubber balls at each other and tried to hurt each other, and no one got sued! Do our children even know what Dodge Ball is? I remember wearing pants under my skirt, so I could do my paper route on the way home from school, and getting suspended for a day, for not remembering to take them off! Do you remember not seeing anyone under 18 on the streets during school hours, for fear that the Truant Officer would get you? Do the kids even know what a truant is? How did we survive? lol! :thumbup:
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 PM

I am 38 and was never home during the summer we road bikes everywhere and didn't come home till it was late at night. we played and played until we had to go to school! Where I raised my 16 yo she never went out side because of the neighborhood. When we moved 7 years ago it was the first time I let her outside by herself she had no idea how to play it was sad to watch them be on their own.