Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • accu cutter >
  • accu cutter

• accu cutter

Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    I'm glad I waited and didn't run out and buy it the minute it came out (which is what I normally do) .

I think I'm going to get the Vagabound cutter from Sizzix instead. No turning, runs on power, and can use other dies from other companies. The price is certainly compatible, and, according to what I've seen around, you can cut up to 12 layers at a time.
    http://www.sizzix.com/product/2313

Anyone already own this? Comments?

It looks interesting, but I couldn't find what width dies it takes anywhere. The opening looks a bit small? So may be rather limited in size of dies it could take. Maybe similar to the Baby Go? And if so, the Baby Go is much cheaper.
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by gingerella
    I clicked on your link and can find no information on this item actually cutting fabric. I understand it will cut paper.

Is it actually for scrapbooking and not quilting? It's almost too good to be true if it cuts fabric !!!
    Yikes - my long answer disappeared. I'm going to try this in pieces - I think the problem is I was trying to post a link to video made by the maker of the machine. Maybe that site is a no-no here.
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
    Originally Posted by MTS
    I'm glad I waited and didn't run out and buy it the minute it came out (which is what I normally do) .

I think I'm going to get the Vagabound cutter from Sizzix instead. No turning, runs on power, and can use other dies from other companies. The price is certainly compatible, and, according to what I've seen around, you can cut up to 12 layers at a time.
    http://www.sizzix.com/product/2313

Anyone already own this? Comments?

It looks interesting, but I couldn't find what width dies it takes anywhere. The opening looks a bit small? So may be rather limited in size of dies it could take. Maybe similar to the Baby Go? And if so, the Baby Go is much cheaper.
    You're missing the point that it's electric. And I'm pretty sure it uses most of the Go's dies (not studio) and they have their own extensive selection.
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Let's try this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaK8a0w2llA

This is a video by Tim Holtz, the maker/designer of the Vagabound cutting machine.

I can't remember if he demonstrated fabric in this demo video or not. But check out my later post for a link to Kelly's blog (if that even posts). Sheesh.

NAYY
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 AM
    MTS
    Banned

This is unbelievably frustrating. I'm trying to get a link in to the blog where I first read about it and it ain't taking.

I first heard about it on the IHAN blog. If you haven't read it, Kelly's pretty up on all the new things.

the link is to the "I have a notion" blogspot dot com. (don't put spaces)

Anyway, she reviewed the Vagabound earlier this week.

Check out her posts from the 12th-14th. She even made a little video showing how easy it was right out of the box.
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the link. I did miss the electric part. OOpsie. Interesting, but the size of the dies would be very limiting and I really question the 12 layers as I didn't see that anywhere. Plus, and this is just me...but it's really hideous. But, I'd be curious to hear how folks like it. I'll stick with my Studio;>

This really may be the unit of choice for folks with severe disabilities.

I'll check out this newest site you're talking about. :thumbup:
    Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Saw the video, it's a neat option for sure!
    Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM

I did watch the video and it seems that it does cut fabric and it does look as if it uses the same smaller dies that Accuquilt uses.

There would be alot of "pre-cutting" for this machine it seems. There is enough "pre-cutting" with Accuquilt but it looks like there would be more with this one.

I wonder when Accuquilt comes out with an electric die cutter? Probably just after Christmas and after everyone has purchased the last of the hand cranks. Whaddaya think?
    Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by gingerella
    I did watch the video and it seems that it does cut fabric and it does look as if it uses the same smaller dies that Accuquilt uses.

There would be alot of "pre-cutting" for this machine it seems. There is enough "pre-cutting" with Accuquilt but it looks like there would be more with this one.

I wonder when Accuquilt comes out with an electric die cutter? Probably just after Christmas and after everyone has purchased the last of the hand cranks. Whaddaya think?
    Sounds about right.
    Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM

I finally got around to using my new Christmas Gift from DH which is a new Accuquilt cutting machine.

I was pretty concerned about it as I was afraid I would be able to turn the handle with any ease.

NOT TO WORRY !!! I just finished cutting some blocks out for my Laurel Burch quilt and no problems. It's much easier than I was expecting. I am looking forward to getting a bunch of work done this year !!