Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
accu cutter >

accu cutter

accu cutter

Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM

There's just nothing like having EVERY piece (shape) be EXACTLY the same. Especially when working with triangles. Actually any shape. I can't say it enough, I don't think I will sew another triangle with tails - I am totally spoiled. You save tons of time cutting, but also sooo much time sewing too! lol
Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Drat why didn't I find this site BEFORE CHRISTMAS! I DO NOT LIKE TO CUT OUT AT ALL. Now I will have to save and save. thanks Ladies for all the imput, I will be sure and bookmark this. Last winter I cut out enough fabric for 7 quilts thought I would NEVER get done cutting and no matter how hard I try or how many times I re-ssssquare I stll fight my points (Most of the quilts were pinwheel. Will post pic soon.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 PM

What counts is that you found us now. Welcome to our world. Whle you are waiting for your Accuquilt GO, learn as much as you can. Go to their site, there are videos about what you can do and lots of information. You can find information about what you might want to do first, so your choice of the endless number of dies available can be narrowed somewhat.
You might want to join the Yahoo Group for Accuquilters. There is a wealth of information there and one of the members is an expert and has produced many videos about different things to do with the GO or even the BABY.
The baby does not allow dies more than six inches wide, but there are a lot that can be used with it. You might check into that.
Amazon has them on sale off and on and maybe someone else can give you a lead.
I hope this helps and gives you something to think about and do while you save. Just know that there are better quilting days ahead! lol

I made this Table Topper using my Accuquilt GO. Those triangles were a breeze since there were no 'tails'. Made a perfect square, therefore a perfect prarie point!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150363[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150358.jpe  
Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Thanks Roseydue will do! Beautiful table topper.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 PM

I just saw a real good buy if anyone is interested. I went to a site - nancysnotions.com - she is selling an Accuquilt GO plus a 5" square die,6 1/2" Tumbler Die, 6X12" Mat and a Book-Wearables on the Go for $278.90.
That is a lot of products for that amount of money. Adding the items individually would be much higher!
I just found that site - a place where people were buyig the dies.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 PM

Ya'll've been silent for a couple of days. I was having trouble finding this topic.
Just wanted to tell you, I was making blocks for my row robin and did one block according to directions. It had flying geese, half square triangles and took a lot more time and effort than I thought it should.

I did the second one with my accuquilt GO and the pieces were all cut out in 15 min. Then when I finished putting them together, I didn't have to 'square up' anythng!

I just can't get over how much faster this is. And it's not just in the cutting, but in the accuracy of sewing too.
Thanks for listening, I just had to tell you.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Roseysue, I just can't wait to get into my new one which my DH bought for me for Christmas. Your note just makes my anticipation worse. I'm on my way to AZ but will stop to visit with my two quilting sisters beforehand.

We are in an RV and I have my Accuquilt GO with me, plus a pretty good box of scraps for the three of us to play on. Looking for
ward to a really good time!!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 PM

I have the GO and love, love, love it!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 AM

I also have the Baby and was cutting 3 1/2" squares from scraps to make a quilt for my grandaughter (scraps from clothers I made her when she was small (she turns 12 this month)
Anyway, with the dies 6" and smaller, it is much easier to run them through the BABY. I got it thinking I would use it to travel, but it has a bigger handle and easier to turn.
(opps here I go again!) They are now making dies specially to fit it. Like 2 1/2" strips measuring 6" by 24" and some other ones that you would have thought wouldn't be able to use only with the GO.
In addition to the cutting time factor, it's the accuracy of all the cuts that has me really impressed. There is no more stretching and 'fudging' to get two pieces to fit together.
And those half square triangles are to die for. You cut the two different pieces of fabric right sides together, take them off, sew them, press them, and you are done. No tails, no squaring up because you have a perfece square. And you have squares all the same size.
Here I go again,. Every time I use it, I get excited all over again cause I'm so amazed at how fantastic it's arrival to the quilting world will revolutionize our ability to be faster and so much more accurate.
Therefore we can give more to others and show our love more.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 AM

I'm with Roseysue - LOVE having no dog-ears to trim with triangles! Plus not having to cut triangles and have them be just a bit off - now they are perfect every time!

Strip cutters - there are tutes out there (youtube has lots) that will show you how to mark your strip dies so that after the strips are cut, you carefully lay them on the die at an angle and get either diamonds or parallelograms.

Also, there's been lots of discussion lately re: Sizzix - they are less expensive, but were orginally meant for scrapbookers. Don't think they have strip dies available, but there is info available on using dies other than theirs in the cutter. You might want to check into those.

My personal choice was to get one that was specifically geared to quilters. Like the Studio, but no room for it - let alone the extra expense. So I got the Go! and love it.