Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 PM

I laughed when I saw that cord. I have no idea who did it but the cord looked like it was as it was from the factory - inside the rebuildable connector, it has a strain relief I've never seen in these machines before and it looked undisturbed and it certainly didn't when I was finished - and the plug end of the cord doesn't fit through the treadle knock out.

So yeah, that's the other neat thing about the 411G, like the 401G it's treadle-able. So it's sort of like a 401A with a couple of tricks up its sleeve.

It turns out we have a @#$@$ snowfall warning in effect for tomorrow, so I'll be staying home and test sewing after all. Man! Mother nature just does not want to give up! I'll snap a few pics and maybe get a little sewing done tomorrow. We did talk about the chainstitching in these 2 threads too:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t204075.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t211311.html
Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

I have a 411G, too. Very cool machine. Mine was out of time and it had frozen parts. I had to learn how to do needle bar timeing on that machine - took me awhile - all I had ever done was timing from the bobbin area at that time. That pink thing goes under the throat plate and you can do darning. I got one with mine. Mine also has a drawer unit that attaches to the end of the machine - makes a very long bed.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It turns out we have a @#$@$ snowfall warning in effect for tomorrow, so I'll be staying home and test sewing after all. Man! Mother nature just does not want to give up!
Mother Nature is against me too today. I got the Necchi desk outside in the shade this morning and applied the Citrustrip. I waited the 30 minutes like it said and instead of a gooey mess bubbling up and waiting to come off, I had a dried powdered mess that turned to dust as I scraped it and left the paint.

I tried a second time and didn't leave it as long and some paint came off but the results were weak.

By the time I got back from the hardware store with more rubber gloves, and another product the winds had come up and my desk was in direct sun. So now I have to wait.

I hate waiting. I am already messy and in my "play clothes". I would try and get it into the garage and work there but no one is home to help lift so I'm stuck.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:55 PM

Yes, not a good day for work. Couldn't leave the house for too long since the roofers were there. My local hardware store did not have a non polarized plug so I couldn't finish my 99 motor and test it. I'm really excited since its my first motor and I was off today. Guess I'll stop at the big box store tomorrow on my way home from work.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a 411G, too. Very cool machine. Mine was out of time and it had frozen parts. I had to learn how to do needle bar timeing on that machine - took me awhile - all I had ever done was timing from the bobbin area at that time. That pink thing goes under the throat plate and you can do darning. I got one with mine. Mine also has a drawer unit that attaches to the end of the machine - makes a very long bed.
Ohh! I thought yours was a 401G. I guess they are around in the US somewhat. Yay! I had to piece together a new tensioner from 2 different tensioners but I got it working finally. These ones are funny, when they're in good shape they're dead easy to work on. If someone's messed with them they're real challengers.

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Mother Nature is against me too today. I got the Necchi desk outside in the shade this morning and applied the Citrustrip. I waited the 30 minutes like it said and instead of a gooey mess bubbling up and waiting to come off, I had a dried powdered mess that turned to dust as I scraped it and left the paint.

I tried a second time and didn't leave it as long and some paint came off but the results were weak.

By the time I got back from the hardware store with more rubber gloves, and another product the winds had come up and my desk was in direct sun. So now I have to wait.

I hate waiting. I am already messy and in my "play clothes". I would try and get it into the garage and work there but no one is home to help lift so I'm stuck.
Those chemical strippers are so hit and miss for me. I feel your pain!

I did accomplish one thing today though:

Here are your 411G chaining pics. I think I surprised it with the one curve but one loose stitch isn't too bad. I had to center the needle because while the machine didn't care with regular stitching, it would skip about 1 in about 30 stitches with the chain stitching. I also learned today that FMQ and chainstitching don't go together.

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519042[/ATTACH]

Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519043[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4105.jpg   img_4106.jpg  
Old 05-06-2015, 09:14 PM

OOoh the chain stitching is really cool. I can't even find your loose stitch!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:43 PM

am I correct in thinking that you can pull a chain stitch out from one end .... ? like a old time flour sack or such ?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
OOoh the chain stitching is really cool. I can't even find your loose stitch!
Well then I'm not pointing it out.

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
am I correct in thinking that you can pull a chain stitch out from one end .... ? like a old time flour sack or such ?
Yes, exactly. It's like the flour sack where it's secure until you pull the thread just the right way from the right end of the stitch. The front won't come out but the end will and if it's been secured properly, only when you undo the right part of the stitch. Great for fitting a garment before you sew it permanently, but civil war uniforms were made with chainstitch machines - A lot of them Wilcox and Gibbs machines if I read right.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Banned

you should actually try to pull that stitch. Most machines (like W&G) do a locking chainstitch that does not actually pull out like most folks think...
Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 AM

I know Purina uses a single thread chain stitch on their bags (We just switched brands, our dog was losing weight and I suspect they changed their formula.). That one pulls out. I read somewhere that farmer's wives used to save the feed sack threads for red work embroidery. I don't know how true it is though.
I have a Touch & Sew that will chain stitch but I haven't tried that feature yet. I don't know if it's secure or not.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter