Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise regarding my MIL >

need advise regarding my MIL

need advise regarding my MIL

Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

It definitely depends on the nursing home... After my late husband's last back surgery the doctor's were concerned with me hurting my back picking him up because he was 6' tall. I don't know why they were concerned because I had helped him every time before. Anyway, they put him in a care facility for a couple of months. He took his Christmas string quilt with him. It didn't even have his name one it. He got scared one time when they took him to the hospital because we couldn't find it--the nurses had folded it up very neatly and placed it safely in the closet. I did bring all of his things home to wash and dry them, so maybe that made a difference also, but we never had anything disappear(except word search puzzles-big deal). My complaints about the place were the lack of enough nurses for the patients.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Don't cut that gorgeous fabric! Add some borders to make it the size you want. 8-) It is beautiful as is. I would even tie it as opposed to quilting it. You could add an Attic Windows to it, leaving off the window sashing from of the top and left hand side. Use several strips of very dark and different colored fabrics on the right. Use the very lightest of those previous colors for the bottom. Make use of the back side of the darker fabrics for the bottom strips.

Frame the whole thing in one solid color (black is screaming to me right now). 8-)
I like your idea of a big attic window, maybe 4 to 6 panes will work nice. and it would be really quick so I can get back to my other projects.
I'm sure that would be lovely. :thumbup:
Old 04-02-2011, 01:13 PM

I would get the fabric that is needed for the project, not more. Let her know the pattern calls for too much, or whatever the issue is.
One other thing--I have occasionally been put on the spot to do a quilt for someone else--their way--and I find it very annoying. Tell me if you think this is selfish:

If I were to contract to do a job (which is not the way I make quilts), I would take the order, do it exactly how they want me to, and accept the commission. If someone wants me to do a favor and make a quilt for someone else, give me some ideas and let me do something wonderful.

What does everyone else think about this?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
Kinda like the extra fabric will be for my time.
By what I read you are feeling guilty about doing this sort of but at the same time you feel it's ok because you also help her out a lot.

I would say, that's all in what you can live with. It's not a bad idea to get an extra yard or so as long as you aren't taking advantage of her by doing so. It's a "I help you & you help me" sort of thing. Certainly one extra yard for yourself is not a lot to ask in this case. But that is just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:40 PM

I do have a question? She lives 25 miles away.... She is elderly, Wouldn't it be easier to engage a caregiving business that would just take her shopping or change light bulbs.... PLUS most towns have (check senior citizens) brochure of help lines.... For just a little gas money will drive people miles to a Dr. Appt. grocery store lots of things out there. Although those people naturally ae not her son... When I lived in Carson City in a apt. a lady friend told me about this help... She even had her own car, cleaned her home the works... But had someone drive her to Reno.... (((hugs))) no fun growning old (er).... lol :)
Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by RobertaMarie
You may not like to hear this, but if you make a quilt, and it is not made with love and caring, it is a waste of your time and benefits no one. Either put aside all negative feelings, (and I don't blame you for having them!) and make it, bless it, and release it. If it is stolen, it was not meant to be hers..... If you don't want to put the time and energy into it, then, please don't do it. Grandma won't know, and it sounds as if MIL is just being manipulative... do it with love, or don't do it at all. I send my love and support to you in making your decision.
Well said and I heartly agree! When you first posted the subject you said that it was for you MIL''s mother not you husband's grandmother.That is very telling about you attitude toward your husband. Remember you to will be old someday!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:13 PM

My mother was in an assisted living facility before she passed away last July. I made two quilts that "disappeared", and no one could tell us where they went. I agree-make sure you or she takes it home to wash and bring it back. Also, more than that will disappear-be careful what you take for her to have in her room. Speaking from recent experience.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Let her buy the fabric, do not use your own fabric. So what if there is extra, that is the nature of quilting and has to be accepted.
My MIL has since passed away, but when she was alive she could suck the life out of you, she never ever went to the store alone, and we live over an hour away, but my husband would get called to the house all the time because she needed something. And then they would go to the drug store and she would buy razors or house shoes. She would give her money to my SIL and then call us cause she needed money, or give my SIL her coat and then call us because she needed a new coat. No one in her home town would help her because she had sucked the life out of every person there. Do what you can and grit your teeth. Remind yourself that you do this for your husband and not for her. Keep saying this is Karma and maybe someday when I am old this will be repaid.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Let her buy the fabric, do not use your own fabric. So what if there is extra, that is the nature of quilting and has to be accepted.
My MIL has since passed away, but when she was alive she could suck the life out of you, she never ever went to the store alone, and we live over an hour away, but my husband would get called to the house all the time because she needed something. And then they would go to the drug store and she would buy razors or house shoes. She would give her money to my SIL and then call us cause she needed money, or give my SIL her coat and then call us because she needed a new coat. No one in her home town would help her because she had sucked the life out of every person there. Do what you can and grit your teeth. Remind yourself that you do this for your husband and not for her. Keep saying this is Karma and maybe someday when I am old this will be repaid.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

MIL decided to BUY one!!!!!!!