Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >
  • March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

• March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Maggiemay. No, I won't be there. Burbank is about 40 min from where I am. I would love to but cannot walk around right now. I am having a lot of trouble with my left foot. I would have to be in a wheelchair to be able to go. I needed one for Road to California. I do hope to be able to get to the Long Beach International Show again in July though.
    I wish I could walk. I have been on my feet way too much today and both knees and my foot are just throbbing.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Purplemem, I sometimes get pain in my shins when I am walking. Don't know if they are shin splints or not. What I do to stretch it out is: put 1 foot forward, put your weight on the back foot, lift your toes on the front foot. Press your hands on the thigh of the back leg. Hold this pose/stretch for 15-30 seconds. It really hurts at first but as it stretches it gets better. I hope this explanation is clear enough and that it helps you.
    Missy, you are the amazing shrinking woman!
    Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Great Job Missy!! Keep up the good work!!! You can do it!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Way to go Missy! The change is terrific and I'm glad you're willing to share. I started my journey 17 mo ago at 319.8# and down to 248# now. Doc wants me at 150-160# I've been there before but only visited briefly. Otherwise I've been over 300 for last 16 yrs. So these 17 mo losing with a low carb, low fat diabetic food plan has worked miracles. For the first time in my life I'm not craving bread or carbs at all. When I have cravings now its for veggies. I keep steamer packs in freezer for those moments. Life w/o ice cream seemed impossible. But the only treat I allowed me was the fat free half & half. Now I let go of that too.
    My concern is that I'm not getting out to exercise and I really do need to find a way to get to therapy pool at my fitness center. Any help or tips on what I can do to help me here would be great!
    Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Taboo Tues. Lets try no bacon this week.
    Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM
    mim

I'm back from a glorious 2 weeks at the beach in San Diego sunshine. We hhit rain as soon as we got halfway thru Oregon (normal). And this morning woke up to a snowstorm!! Not supposed to happen in Olympia.

The good/bad news is that I stayed the same weight. Maybe it is muscle?? LOL or maybe a tan weighs something??

To be honest I thought I would lose some because we walked morning and afternoon on the beach. More miles than we have done in months. But it was so good to be outside without a coat.

Mim
    Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Greetings Everyone! Sunny day in ND and thinking of getting Mom in her wheelchair and getting out for awhile. Might have to talk hard to get her out there, because she was sick after our last outing.

Wanted to remind all you weight loosing ladies that we need to take care of our skin as we do weight loss. I have a friend who needed training in makeup, so I went in for a makeover on Saturday. I was a Mary Kay consultant for 14 years, so these things shouldn't have been new to me. But I haven't been taking care of "ME" as I should have. So now I am back to moisturizing skin and wearing makeup during the days (I feel better when I take care of myself). A lot of time we look years younger also.

So go for it ladies.

mim, San Diego sounds wonderful. DH and I went there on our honeymoon. He went to a conference and I read books and walked to my hearts content. Oh for those days again....
    Old 03-13-2012, 05:34 PM

Di, you are so right - it's easier to do good things for yourself when you look good. Hair combed, lipstick and mascara on, shoulders up, butt under. Luckily working round the house in a crinoline and heels is no longer the norm, but it is nice to have some decent 'house' clothes. I only moisturize my skin at night. I have daytime stuff, but am not using it regularly.

MJ, I'll be looking for you in Women's World. I wonder if they have a 'last ten pound diet'? I have bouts of shin splints - the stretching is a good idea, but be sure you warm up first - can you use the stationary bike? Falling off the treadmill couldn't have been fun. I am ready to ride my outdoor bicycle. I can't put it off forever. If my balance won't let me, then I will sell two bikes and donate the third. If I can't use them, they are clutter. Moira would love to run beside the bike. I won't ask Lily to unless she tells me she it's time and I don't think that will happen.

Pam, wah, wah, wah. I only have bacon once a month at Big Boy. That day is THIS Thursday. Hmm. What else to have? Is ham too closely related?

mim, I love San Diego. When my son was stationed in Yuma, we made the trip over the mountains several times. SD has my favorite zoo even if if built in a canyon and you're continuously walking either uphill or downtown. I never missed a trip to Old Town, either. The bar that was used in the Top Gun movie was a bit of a disappointment, LOL. Walking in sand is so good for your legs.

It's happening again. I sit down here and get sleepy, so I'm leaving for a while. Have a good evening.
    Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM

San Diego is a beautiful place. We lived there for a couple of years when my husband was stationed on the Ranger aircraft carrier during Desert Storm. My DD#3 went to college there and my son is currently stationed in San Diego, which is wonderful for us as he can be home is an little as 3 hours (or 7 if the traffic is bad)
    Bacon is easy to stay away from, it has been out of my diet since Thanksgiving and I have only had 2 pieces, for Christmas, since Thanksgiving.
    I am having serious trouble with a huge bone spur in my left foot. I may end up having foot surgery. I am hoping not but am having so much pain standing on it and walking that I may have no choice. Has anyone ever had surgery for a heel spur before? My limping around is affecting the knee I just had surgery on and the knee that is heading for a replacement. When you limp it throws everything off, but It is too painful to walk "normal"

Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 AM

jim's gem-- hi! i used to be in this weight loss challenge. i just wanted to suggest orthotics if you don't already have them. i avoided foot surgery by getting some. i also had bone spurs. try the Walking Company for shoes that provide the support you need. they are not cheap, and i'm not affiliated with them, but i am a satisfied customer. they have a sensor machine that will map your feet and suggest the right insert for your feet/ shoes. difference of night and day! the other source, of course, is a podiatrist, but their custom made orthotics cost more and my insurance wouldn't cover it, but again, in 2 days i had a spring to my step i hadn't had for years! first time in ages my feet didn't hurt. good luck! i hope you find something that works for you and you can avoid surgery!
    missy-- i can hardly believe that's you in both pictures! boy, i'm away a couple months and you just about disappear! good for you!!!
    i hope i will be back on the weight loss trail next month. haven't lost, haven't gained, but i'd like to lose! just bought some new dresses (very cheap at ross) and just hope that they fit! i would like to wear regular sizes again! see you soon, glad to see everyone is working at losing!